Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the PADI class is 4hrs in a classroom just take it before you go or take it when you get there!

Charles R:
the PADI class is 4hrs in a classroom just take it before you go or take it when you get there!
Is that really all there is to it? Sounds like a rather short and general class or is it just not that much to teach about nitrox?
Is nitrox also something that are part of deco diving and will be taught further if you go down that road?

Tigerman:
Is that really all there is to it? Sounds like a rather short and general class or is it just not that much to teach about nitrox?
Is nitrox also something that are part of deco diving and will be taught further if you go down that road?

Yeah it really is pretty much that easy. I did mine through ACUC, was handed the packet, took it home, read it, did the exam and handed it back the next day with my picture, and that was about it. It's not a difficult thing to learn, but it is important to learn it to be able to calculate your MOD's, EAD's, and plan your dives. As for Deco, yes it is used for deco, generally with much richer mixes to help offgas the nitrogen/helium faster on your stops.

Jim

Tigerman:
My computer goes to EAN36 so personally I could just put that into it, but thats not a topic for me quite yet.
Just wondered.
Was also thinking ppo2 levels as a thing that would get inaccurate if you dive nitrox with air settings, but that again is also related to depth, so paying attention to the depth should prevent that from being an issue, right?

The danger of diving nitrox with air settings is that you might inadvertnetly go too deep.

You will have a maximum depth with nitrox that is going to be around 100 to 130 fsw depending on your mix richness.

And you need to be able to test the tank contents to make sure you know what the mix richness is.

A good instructor can show you how to do all this in an afternoon, but you should also read the book, fully understand it, and pass the written test for your C-card.

scubaag03:
Ok, So here is the situation, I will be in Cozumel Friday Aug 31- Monday September 3rd. My flight leaves at 11am Monday morning, I wanted to try and get a 3 tank dive in on Sunday. The dive OP I am using suggested I dive NITROX and we could be done diving by 3pm Sunday and I should be okay to fly the next day. I told him I have never dove with NITROX and have no training with NITROX. He said, no problem since you will not be planning the dives. Is this true? I thought you had to have been through a NITROX course to dive NITROX, please help me out on this.

Thanks!!:D

If what you say is fully accurate,,,I would find another dive op! You do need to be Nitrox certed to dive it. IMO

Just take the class. There are other factors (like others have said) that NEED to be understood besides just slapping the tank on and breathing. Death is more than possible if you don't know what you're doing.

Danny

just tell them to give you air and enjoy the dives...

later on when you get the time do a course and don't worry!
btw. when you choose a course try taking the one that teaches you everything regardless of %O2 (all the way to 50%) and not just 32% or 36% with 2 new tables - that one is useless! after the course you should be able to calculate everything for yourself (MOD, best mix....) and not depend on only 2 mixes without understanding what lies behind it - after all, the math behind it is easy

hvulin:

btw. when you choose a course try taking the one that teaches you everything regardless of %O2 (all the way to 50%) and not just 32% or 36% with 2 new tables - that one is useless! after the course you should be able to calculate everything for yourself (MOD, best mix....) and not depend on only 2 mixes without understanding what lies behind it - after all, the math behind it is easy

If someone is good with numbers and math, then I would agree with this view.

Otherwise, I would pick a mix, either EAN 32 or EAN 36, and stick with that all the time.

I will do complex calculations for trimix, all the way from TMX 30/30 to TMX 10/70.

However, with nitrox, I prefer just to go with EAN 36 all the time.

You're going on a trip on which you now might like to dive Nitrox, so it's time to just take the class and get it done. I'd think where you are you ought to be able to be able find a place to do the class before you go. Then you will have a little more info to make this decision yourself, as it should be. But the original decision you're still making is whether you should cut your time-to-fly time short. I see this is a short trip you're taking and you want to get in all the dives you can but that's not what you should base your decision on.

Even though it's pretty easy, I don't think you should dive Nitrox uncertified on the say so of a dive op. I agree it's not as huge a deal as some other things you might do, but I'm rather unimpressed with a dive op that would suggest you dive Nitrox uncertified in order to cut short the often recommended time-to-fly - 2 strikes there.

hvulin:

I would not have guessed that there are any agencies that only teach the two 'standard' nitrox mixes. I agree that that such a course would be one to avoid. :shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom