Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcclete22:
Divemark500- I have dove with Nitrox and I did feel better. The book said it was more psychological thean physiological, but I personally felt better. Not saying I felt bad after a regualr air dive, I just didn't feel like I had done anything at all after a Nitrox dive.

Log-splitter- Do you mean can you re-fill any tank with Nitrox? Because you should only re-fill Nitrox tanks with Nitrox, and never fill an air tank with NItrox. But you learn about re-fills in the class.
also, you can refill a "Nitrox" (cleaned) tank with clean hyperfiltered air as that won't "dirty" the tanks and valves. Just not regular air which may have some contaminents.

howarde:
I would say...

If you are sucking air quickly, why would you want to spend the extra money for a tank filled with nitrox, when you would suck that down quickly too?
QUOTE]

I've been bent before and getting my NITROX cert was a no brainer. I don't use it to extend my bottom time, but rather continue to use air NDL. Even if the safety factor isn't well documented, it is known the bends is caused by nitrogen loading. I'm willing to use NITROX if only for that reason.

Enough typing...I'm off to go diving!

Nitrox is not needed in recreational diving. The cost of the class, the extra cost for fills etc... does not outweight the benefits.

Nitrox has no purpose in shallow water or deepwater diving.

The usually available mixes of 30 - 36% are mainly for use and safe for use in the 60 - 100 foot range. The most frequently sited benefit of extended bottom time does not come into play for most because it will put you into decompression diving which is outside of recreational guidelines. It has little use for single dives or for someone doing two dives per day.

If you're going to to alot of diving in the 60 - 100 foot range and they will be mulitple dives 3, 4 or 5 on the same day or over the course of extended days of diving, then Nitrox will be of some benefit.

Some people report feeling better after diving because of the higher percentage of 02 in the body. I have sought out this "better feeling" and can not find it. While I am Nitrox certified, I have not bothered to use it since 1999.

If you're ready willing and able to begin doing decompression diving, then you can greatly extend bottom times in the 60-100 foot range. It then becomes a matter of just how long before you run out of air. In these cases you usually run out of air before you get the maximum benefit of the Nitrox.. unless you go to double cylinders.

I know many that dive it and dive nothing else... then there are those like me that say it is another dive industry scam to take more of you rmoney... the decision in the end is yours.

Divemark500:
Some older guys say they feel better after a day of diving with Nitrox vs. a day of diving with regular air.

I've never tried Nitrox - anybody have any experience with this concept?

Divemark500

I have heard this a lot as well, but I personally haven't noticed a difference. Then again, I've only ever used Nitorx when doing 4+ dives in a day, so at that point you're exhausted no matter what. Plus, I'm not an old guy, so that could have something to do with it. :05:

you say this

ghostdiver1957:
Nitrox is not needed in recreational diving. The cost of the class, the extra cost for fills etc... does not outweight the benefits.

then you give a perfect example of when it is of benefit!

If you're going to to alot of diving in the 60 - 100 foot range and they will be mulitple dives 3, 4 or 5 on the same day or over the course of extended days of diving, then Nitrox will be of some benefit.

I'm a recreational diver, and that describes nearly all of my diving.

If one of the benefits is increased NDLs, how do you come up with a statement like this?

ghostdiver1957:
The most frequently sited benefit of extended bottom time does not come into play for most because it will put you into decompression diving which is outside of recreational guidelines.

ghostdiver1957:

Nitrox has no purpose in shallow water or deepwater diving.

The usually available mixes of 30 - 36% are mainly for use and safe for use in the 60 - 100 foot range. The most frequently sited benefit of extended bottom time does not come into play for most because it will put you into decompression diving which is outside of recreational guidelines. It has little use for single dives or for someone doing two dives per day.

Some people report feeling better after diving because of the higher percentage of 02 in the body. I have sought out this "better feeling" and can not find it. While I am Nitrox certified, I have not bothered to use it since 1999.

If you're ready willing and able to begin doing decompression diving, then you can greatly extend bottom times in the 60-100 foot range. It then becomes a matter of just how long before you run out of air. In these cases you usually run out of air before you get the maximum benefit of the Nitrox.. unless you go to double cylinders.

I know many that dive it and dive nothing else... then there are those like me that say it is another dive industry scam to take more of you rmoney... the decision in the end is yours.
Where to start??? You post makes me wonder if you know anything about nitrox. Even if you're diving one tank, if your air consumption isn't the limiting factor, then Nitrox is advantageous. As soon as you go to more than one tank, you can recover a decent NDL with 20 minutes of SI if you're diving nitrox. For more than two tanks, why wouldn't you dive nitrox? It's also a way you avoid deco diving. Why do deco diving if you don't have to?

The most frequently sited benefit of extended bottom time does not come into play for most because it will put you into decompression diving which is outside of recreational guidelines.

This doesn't make sense. Using nitrox gives longer bottom times at a given depth without going into deco. If deco is planned, then there is no NDL.

One thing that is misleading though is that you get either longer bottom times or increased safety. If you reach NDL for a given depth on air or nitrox, then the level of saturation (pressure group) is the same, and there is no increase in safety.

Back
Top Bottom