Nitrox when others are on air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are very mistaken if you think that diving is not really a thing in the UK. It's very active, and has been since the 50's!
I'm in St Albans. Can you suggest where I can go on a weekend to dive regularly?

Every person I've met who has dived in the UK mentioned it requires dry suit, it's expensive, you don't see anything interesting and you have to drive a long distance. Please do tell me if I'm wrong, I'd love to dive back at home

In which case, is the added expense of diving nitrox worth the hassle?

It seems to me (a relative noob), that unless you're planning on extended time at 70'-90', diving with a 15L makes more sense.
As I get older my air usage improves and I also want to stay further away from NDL's.

I'm in St Albans. Can you suggest where I can go on a weekend to dive regularly?

Every person I've met who has dived in the UK mentioned it requires dry suit, it's expensive, you don't see anything interesting and you have to drive a long distance. Please do tell me if I'm wrong, I'd love to dive back at home
Check these guys out.

Check these guys out.

I have. They dive in a local pool and play underwater hockey. I was asking about dive area you can recommend that are within a reasonable driving distance (not pools)

Do more dives, add a few extra charters or shore dives etc.

I have. They dive in a local pool and play underwater hockey. I was asking about dive area you can recommend that are within a reasonable driving distance (not pools)
Find a club with an active dive schedule, check other BSAC clubs or talk to local dive shops for an active club. Many clubs in the UK even have their own club boats. I can't recommend locations near you as I am in Canada but have talked with many divers from the UK.

Southend-by-sea BSAC 22

Driving 90 minutes to go diving would be considered reasonable by most divers I know. I found this by using google maps and google within 3 minutes. I have never been diving in the UK.

However, we have similar diving conditions in Norway, and I absolutely recommend diving locally. To really get in enough dives to become proficient and enjoy being underwater, you need to dive wherever you are (or be a millionaire and travel every weekend).

Yes, buying equipment and a drysuit is an expensive investment, but you get so much in return, and when you have the gear diving locally is not that expensive. Diving wrecks in black, murky water is very exciting, and once you focus on the art of diving it's not just about your environment, but also about honing skills or just being present. It also makes dive trips more exciting as you can fully enjoy a change in scenery while the technical aspects of the diving is second nature.

Contact a local club and see if you can rent a drysuit and get a drysuit class or something. Just do it!

As long as the dive isn't planned for > your max nitrox depth, it's just less stress on the body.

Southend-by-sea BSAC 22

Driving 90 minutes to go diving would be considered reasonable by most divers I know. I found this by using google maps and google within 3 minutes. I have never been diving in the UK.

However, we have similar diving conditions in Norway, and I absolutely recommend diving locally. To really get in enough dives to become proficient and enjoy being underwater, you need to dive wherever you are (or be a millionaire and travel every weekend).

Yes, buying equipment and a drysuit is an expensive investment, but you get so much in return, and when you have the gear diving locally is not that expensive. Diving wrecks in black, murky water is very exciting, and once you focus on the art of diving it's not just about your environment, but also about honing skills or just being present. It also makes dive trips more exciting as you can fully enjoy a change in scenery while the technical aspects of the diving is second nature.

Contact a local club and see if you can rent a drysuit and get a drysuit class or something. Just do it!
I'm aware BSAC exists, it's just that the UK has nothing interesting to dive. I imagine Norway at least has some lakes, my nearest mountain is in the lake District or whales 3 hour dive+. England is just boring flat land

I'm aware BSAC exists, it's just that the UK has nothing interesting to dive. I imagine Norway at least has some lakes, my nearest mountain is in the lake District or whales 3 hour dive+. England is just boring flat land
I understand that they don't have much in the way of historic sites over there either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom