Nitrox - warning for beginner divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shops do not often make their policies known. That is why the diver has to take some initiative and ask. There is no such thing as an air or nitrox cylinder. No difference in price. It is what is done to them in the store that makes em air or nitrox. And you can put air in any nitrox tank. And if it's O2 compatible air you do not have to clean the tank to go back to nitrox. Anyone who says you cannot put air in a nitrox tank is an idiot. And you don't have to empty the tank. It's a good idea to analyze the fill if you plan on doing any deep stuff with it. And if the shop banks their nitrox you don't even need a nitrox tank.

My best air fill was topping off a set of doubles that had been filled with 21/28 trimix and ending up with about a 10% he mix as I recall. Saw things in the local deep hole with more clarity than I ever had before.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Who owns that shop ... PT Barnum?

Seriously ... that is blatantly untrue, and the sign of either an incompetent or dishonest business ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob, did you notice the part that say this forum "is intended to be a very friendly, 'flame free zone'"? Your comment about the owner is completely unfair. I know the owner and he is one of the nicest and most honest persons you would ever have the pleasure to meet.

Texasguy, I know the woman who gave you the wrong information and she now knows she made a mistake. She's new to the business and got her facts confused. In the future, consider calling the owner of any dive shop prior publicizing an error by one of their employees. And if you took a Nitrox class before you learned the cost of Nitrox fills, who's fault is that? Nitrox is more expensive than air everywhere in the world. Many Texas dive shops don't invest in Nitrox filling stations as there is little demand for Nitrox when diving local lakes, which are relatively shallow. My advice to you is to spend more time blowing bubbles and less time trashing people on this forum and you'll become a much better diver.

To everyone else who piled on this thread and bashed Maximum Scuba, I'm glad you're so perfect and never make a mistake. How absolutely fantastic for you. And then when you find out someone has made a mistake, by all means assume it was done with nefarious intentions. Because we all know your LDS is making big bucks stealing $15 from new customers for an unnecessary VIP. Yep, that's the business plan all right. Super genius reasoning guys. I bow to your intellect.

ZZ:
Bob, did you notice the part that say this forum "is intended to be a very friendly, 'flame free zone'"? Your comment about the owner is completely unfair. I know the owner and he is one of the nicest and most honest persons you would ever have the pleasure to meet.

Ha! Welcome to Scubaboard, nice first post. No clear agenda there at all...

ZZ:

Texasguy, I know the woman who gave you the wrong information and she now knows she made a mistake. She's new to the business and got her facts confused. In the future, consider calling the owner of any dive shop prior publicizing an error by one of their employees. And if you took a Nitrox class before you learned the cost of Nitrox fills, who's fault is that? Nitrox is more expensive than air everywhere in the world. Many Texas dive shops don't invest in Nitrox filling stations as there is little demand for Nitrox when diving local lakes, which are relatively shallow. My advice to you is to spend more time blowing bubbles and less time trashing people on this forum and you'll become a much better diver.

To everyone else who piled on this thread and bashed Maximum Scuba, I'm glad you're so perfect and never make a mistake. How absolutely fantastic for you. And then when you find out someone has made a mistake, by all means assume it was done with nefarious intentions. Because we all know your LDS is making big bucks stealing $15 from new customers for an unnecessary VIP. Yep, that's the business plan all right. Super genius reasoning guys. I bow to your intellect.

ZZ ... did you notice post #118?

Perhaps clarify these matters with your shop before naming them on a public forum. I've heard from someone who frequents the shop you mentioned and they told me that you're misrepresenting shop policies. Probably a perception thing, but you don't want to burn bridges you may want to use someday.

Might be a good idea to discuss your issues privately with the principals involved before naming the shop on a public forum. While it is worthwhile to seek opinions and information from experienced divers, we can only base our comments on what you post. Based on my friend's comments, I'm inclined to believe that this thread maligns a shop that doesn't deserve it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

ZZ:

Someone clearly woke up on the wrong side of the bed. Might want to be a part of the community for awhile before you lecture the rest of us. We were making comments on the facts given, and many of us have had very similar issues with other shops. Confusion regarding this topic is rampant.

With that said ... apart from your condescending tone ... you make several valid points regarding seeking clarification, talking with the owner, and seeking to clarify the situation before assuming you got it straight. In my case, there are shops (now former shops) who had idiotic policies that came directly from the owner. And yes, I clarified them with him.

ZZ:

There is nothing unfriendly or flame-like about the post.

Bob is addressing, and responding to, comments/reports made by the OP. In that respect, his opinion is absolutely fair. I suggest that (in accordance with the TOS), you make such an effort yourself...address the issues, rather than attacking people's opinions.

If you know the person/business mentioned by the OP, perhaps it'd be more beneficial for you to confirm with them what their exact policy is regarding nitrox sale and cylinder testing...

ZZ:
I know the woman who gave you the wrong information and she now knows she made a mistake. She's new to the business and got her facts confused. In the future, consider calling the owner of any dive shop prior publicizing an error by one of their employees.

Sadly, an employee is a representative of the business they work for. Proper training, education and effective management practices should ensure that customers are not given incorrect policy information that would prove extremely cost-damaging to them.

I'm not a big fan of 'assassination via forum', but in this case, one would be forgiven for assuming that a business employee/representative could be trusted to quote authoritatively on shop policies - thereby making further 'follow-up' phone calls irrelevant.

If the shop concerned isn't in the habit of taking responsibility for the actions of its staff, then that can only give rise to further concerns...

ZZ:
To everyone else who piled on this thread and bashed Maximum Scuba, I'm glad you're so perfect and never make a mistake. How absolutely fantastic for you.

You're probably not doing them any favors with this outburst..

Sadly, an employee is a representative of the business they work for. Proper training, education and effective management practices should ensure that customers are not given incorrect policy information that would prove extremely cost-damaging to them.

Further, it is the responsibility of the company to ensure proper knowledge is in place before putting a representative of the company in front of paying or potential customers.

If I sent my employees into the field without knowledge of our business or our customers' I'd be crucified.

ZZ, just to clarify, I did not "trash people". If I wrote about my experience, all I did was stated the facts (please do re-read my posts), there was no emotional outbursts or name calling, or any other kind of "trashing". Please do not put words in my mouth and please don't make me a bad guy. In my writing I was very neutral about my position. In fact, I was not sure myself if visual inspection was needed, thus, I posted the story just to see what more experienced people thought about it before I commit to buy either service.

Therefore, I believe you are being extremely unfair by trying to paint me falsely in a negative light where I "trash people" or intentionally cause harm. I submit, this is simply not true.

Also, if I need to ask an opinion, I don't think it is fair only to be limited by a reply of a dive shop's management. The solicitation of an opinion from the management might not be forthcoming in time for me to decide on a purchase. Thus, I reserve the right to solicit a public opinion on any matter I see fit. I am a customer, not an employee, I don't have to adhere to company's internal social politics.

In addition, getting in touch with a management might be considered by employees that I am trying to fire them or, at least, tell on them. I wished neither. Therefore, I took my question to an unaffiliated third party, this forum. I still stand by my decision that this forum was a right place to ask for an opinion.

Last edited:
Congratulations, ZZ. You signed your shop up for SB and in a single post did ten times the damage to your shop's reputation than the OP did over 7 pages.

Well done. A remarkable effort.

Stop...Breath...Think...now, everyone turn off your computers and go dive. :D

Back
Top Bottom