Nitrox - warning for beginner divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texasguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Seems like nitrox certification is offered everywhere but to get tanks filled with nitrox is difficult. Only a handful stores do nitrox. One here charged $18 which I think is a robbery. Almost no competitors around. Compare the price to $5 air fills. Thus, nitrox certification is useless.

Seems like nitrox certification is offered everywhere but to get tanks filled with nitrox is difficult. Only a handful stores do nitrox. One here charged $18 which I think is a robbery. Almost no competitors around. Compare the price to $5 air fills. Thus, nitrox certification is useless.

I've got a question for you...

What on earth are you talking about?

???

I am talking that you can get certified for Enriched Air but then unable to practice it due to availability and pricing.

When you go somewhere like Bonaire or Galpegos and want to dive your brains out, you'll find a reasonable nitrox package well worth the cost and well worth the trouble. Nitrox will be more than worth the cost of the class at that point, when it increases your bottom time and allows you to dive to your heart's content.

Thus, nitrox certification is useless.

when your skills/knowledge/etc. are "lacking".... lets add a little more substance to the discussion before you make such a statement... there are individuals that can be influenced by such "useless" statements....

$5 air fills? That's crazy. It costs more than that to run and maintain a compressor. Air fills out here are $10 - $15. Of course little to no competition helps keep the prices up. Blending Nitrox takes more time, effort, equipment and potentially risk. $18 might be on the high side but not by much.

I don't think Nitrox certification is useless but you are correct that it is not as common as air and it costs more. You have to decide if your dive plans justify the extra cost or not.

Maybe it is useless if you dive a 40' quarry all the time. If you are spending money for a trip where you are diving 80-100' repetitive dives it is definitely worth while. But we wouldn't know that, the OP hasn't given us any information.

I think this post is more appropriate for whine and cheese

Here nitrox costs 100cad for 12 fills air 80 cad for 12 fills

I rarely dive air...

So in your little neck of the woods you find that Nitrox isn't commonly available? That's hardly a reason to say that the cert card is useless.

Around here, I doubt a shop would stay in business if it didn't sell Nitrox. Even the boats that have air tend to also have Nitrox. Hell in Thailand recently I saw people giving it away for free to attract business.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom