Nitrox - warning for beginner divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you can get air fills for $5 you are paying 1990's prices, and that was "give away then" Nitrox cost much more to produce plus raises the shop's liability insurance and sometimes government inspections. Many areas that do not have a high local demand do not sell Nitrox.
For most the reason to get certified for Nitrox is to use it on vacation, Diving with Nitrox is no different than air except for a MOD that you shouldn't exceed this is easy to practice on air.
I have also seen resorts charge a premium of $15-20 a tank over included air without complaints

This does vary greatly from area to area. In Seattle, Nitrox is not difficult to come by, although it is more expensive. But we have enough diving in the 60 to 100 foot range that's worth doing, that Nitrox makes sense. I have heard that in Los Angeles, Nitrox can be very difficult to find, and apparently that's true where you are, too. Most of the bigger dive destinations we've visited have offered Nitrox, albeit at some price penalty. The dive boats I've dived off in the Channel Islands in California pumped Nitrox on the boat.

So it varies. I'm sorry it's hard to find where you are. At least it's not as bad as helium . . .

I have been diving Nitrox all over the world in the most remote places.

$100 per week on a live-aboard is well worth it.

We even have it up here @ 8000'.

This thread seems to have followed the 1 of 2 paths possible. In this case, the first response goes after the OP, and everyone else jumps in :)

This is a flame free section of the board, so folks could be a bit nicer.

In fairness to the OP, he titled his thread as a warning to beginner divers, who would see no benefit (in terms of increased bottom time) if using nitrox.

Perhaps he knows a beginner who is paying extra for a gas mix they do not benefit from and is seeking to warn others.

I will admit to having once thought that Nitrox would be low hanging fruit in the quest for more bottom time for beginners. Probably all of us did until we learned better.

I think this post is more appropriate for whine and cheese

Here nitrox costs 100cad for 12 fills air 80 cad for 12 fills

I rarely dive air...

On a fill card, $7 for air or banked 32. Membrane system.

Please note: This forum has special rules. This forum is intended to be a very friendly, "flame free zone" where divers of any skill level may ask questions about basic scuba topics without fear of being accosted. Please show respect and courtesy at all times. Remember that the inquirer is looking for answers that they can understand. This is a learning zone and consequently, any off-topic or overly harsh responses will be removed.

Seems like nitrox certification is offered everywhere but to get tanks filled with nitrox is difficult. Only a handful stores do nitrox. One here charged $18 which I think is a robbery. Almost no competitors around. Compare the price to $5 air fills. Thus, nitrox certification is useless.

Mind sharing your location? If we know your location, some one here can point you to a proper dive shop.

There is no need for nitrox for recreational diving. Even as an instructor, I rarely use nitrox; but I do fully understand its use for those who dive a lot. And in Texas $5 air fills is the going rate.

Good news new divers! Nitrox is a relatively easy class that will give you an extra C-Card, a deeper understanding of partial pressure gas exchange and will give you some useful skills should you want to add some conservatism to your dives. Your local dive shop may or may not be able to serve your Nitrox needs, so research this before deciding to take training. But even if you don't dive Nitrox, you will benefit from the knowledge you gain in the class.
Dive safely!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom