Nitrox to an OOA Diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Old fashion(real) buddy breathing time-----2 sucks of air, exhale slowly & give your primary to OOA diver for the same routine.....need to be a faster thinker down there...

Do you know how many people -- in my limited experience -- that I've found that don't even remember what buddy breathing is?

I used to think my instructor was anal for requiring those skills (mask off, buddy breathing, ooa drills, etc.) for every class he teaches . . . I begin to understand why, now.

:hm: Y'all are funny . . . I asked a question to find if there were any legal or moral issues with sharing Nitrox with an unknown diver . . .

And about 50% of the answers were a challenge to what gas was where and why . . . etc.

Now, can anyone explain when a pony bottle became a deco tank? I've always heard "pony" as the emergency gas, and deco tanks were deco tanks . . .

And just out of spite I'm not going to tell you why I have different gasses.

The reason you are getting some of these seemingly unrelated replies is that the problem you pose is a result of a completely preventable circumstance brought about in part by illogical gas choices.

Some of the people are proposing that instead of having to face this decision (as unlikely as it may be), that you proactively solve the problem.

Do you know how many people -- in my limited experience -- that I've found that don't even remember what buddy breathing is?

I used to think my instructor was anal for requiring those skills (mask off, buddy breathing, ooa drills, etc.) for every class he teaches . . . I begin to understand why, now.

Yes, and one more. (very shallow water) We had to hold onto something and fin until panting really hard. Not possible to buddy-breathe with even one out-of-breath diver. It was hard enough to go to the backup reg and clear it when our lungs were burning.

I have trouble envisioning a scenario where carrying an "emergency-only" air supply that has an MOD significantly higher than your back gas is a good idea, and no trouble envisioning a scenario where it is potentially lethal.

If you're carrying a pony bottle as bailout, keep it filled with the same thing as your back gas, or something safe to at least the same depth as your back gas.

In any case, you give an OOA diver whatever the heck they want. In those several seconds of panic, the OOA diver is highly focused on exactly one thing - getting a working regulator in their mouth. They do not care where it comes from, they do not care what kind of gas it gives them. Once they're breathing you can shove a more appropriate regulator in their face if necessary.

They do not care where it comes from, they do not care what kind of gas it gives them.
They would if they were getting it from me ... I don't carry a pony bottle ... I carry a donkey bottle ... :D

IMG_0449.jpg

Once they're breathing you can shove a more appropriate regulator in their face if necessary.
... only if they've calmed down enough to receive it ... last thing you want to do is induce another potential crisis. Best course of action at that point is to ascend as expeditiously as possible ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

If I'm OOA at depth, I can guarantee I'd suck that donkey dry if that's what was handed to me.

Ahem.

I fear that donkey has a MOD.
I'll tear all the gear off Bob if he offers me a flat donkey.

So basically, it doesn't matter what gas I have, as long as the victim can breath and we get him or her to the surface / boat safely.

:hm: Y'all are funny . . . I asked a question to find if there were any legal or moral issues with sharing Nitrox with an unknown diver . . .
No. You asked a question regarding a specific Nitrox mix. Your original post said nothing about legal or moral issues in that original post.

I'd like to hear experienced thoughts on a scenario:

I'm diving with a pony that has 40% Nitrox. My primary tank will have anything from 30% - 36% Nitrox.

I'm approached by an OOG Diver. S/he grabs my pony reg and sucks desparately.

Do I leave him or her on it, grab the victim's BC and head for the surface?

or​

Do I grab the BC, start up, and try to get him or her on my primary reg with the (probably) lower NIitrox %? After all, that is *my* emergency air s/he is consuming!

I'm figuring that since we're ascending immediately, that it really doesn't matter what percentage the individual is on, they'll be above the MOD of 40% because *I* wouldn't be near the MOD of 40%.

And about 50% of the answers were a challenge to what gas was where and why . . . etc.
That's because you threw out a specific, odd mix as your "example." If you wanted and ambiguous answer that didn't address the mix, you could have just said "nitrox." Perhaps the reason why half of us challenged the use of the gas is because some of the more experienced members don't see this as a logical choice.

I'd also further question your knowledge about Nitrox based on this statement:

So, chances are that the victim isn't going to get oxtox by the time we ascend . . .

Your Nitrox class should have covered that OxTox is a function of high PO2 exposure and time. The higher the exposure, the shorter the time where OxTox may occur. Also keep in mind that OxTox takes many forms (CONVENTID) and that someone may experience symptoms of over exposure without convulsing, passing out, etc. I've personally witnessed someone suffer from some of the other effects of a short but high PO2 exposure who didnt convulse or pass out, but had ringing in their ears and visual disturbance.

Now, can anyone explain when a pony bottle became a deco tank? I've always heard "pony" as the emergency gas, and deco tanks were deco tanks . . .

Deco gasses are gasses that contain a higher percentage of oxygen in order to accelerate the off gassing process and reduce the inert gas loading. I would consider any gas that you carried with a lower MOD than your backgas to be either a deco gas or a travel gas. Since you're not at a depth necessitating a travel gas, then I'd classify it as a deco gas.

And just out of spite I'm not going to tell you why I have different gasses.

Then I guess there's not much point in us trying to give you further advice then. :)

:mooner:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom