Nitrox to an OOA Diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No.

1) I should have enough gas
2) A dive to 160 my 40' hang would only be a few minutes. Ox tox wouldn't be a concern for the amount of time.

Not to mention... A few breaths of ANY gas is better than no breaths. Calm the victim then get them on a better gas (if available)

If they were at 45' then the 80% shouldn't even have been turned on.
I suspect an OOA diver grabbing the reg that goes to a closed tank will not use it for very long!

Good point . . . :hm: Maybe they were ascending to the next stop? :idk:

Uhhh . . . Well, if the mod of 80 at 1.6 ata is 33 feet (if I didn't screw up the calc), if you let him keep the 80%, he could OxTox at greater than 33 feet. Do you not see any issue with
leaving him on the 80%? Especially since it is your deco gas?

Not enough to make an issue out of it.

OxTox is a function of Time & Exposure level. We won't be at high PO2 long enough for it to matter. Personally if I was going to use a deco gas on that dive I'd opt for 50% and then the whole scenario becomes moot. Like Ian pointed out, my deco bottle wouldn't have been on either, unless I was already breathing off of it.

If an OOA diver mugs me for my deco gas and I'm too deep for him to breathe it, AND I don't think it's safe for me to ascend to where it IS safe to breathe it, I'm going to take the bottle off and give it to him and wave goodbye. He's going to want to go to the surface, and he probably CAN. My team has enough deco gas to complete deco without my bottle, because the dive has been planned that way.

Of course, once he began to breathe my gas, I'd try to calm him and get him on something that IS safe to breathe at that depth. But no way am I risking a Type II hit for an unknown person who's panicking. That's why it's nice that bottles come off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom