Nitrox Tank Question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you have to buy Nitrox tanks? Can you use a normal scuba tank? Im planning on doing the enriched air certification and was just curious.

Yes, you can use your "normal" scuba tank. It is recommended to have it 02 cleaned in the beginning to advert having an issue w/ the inside tank condition to be on the safe side. As mentioned above, it depends on how the tank is going to be filled. If it is a blended fill under 40%, probably wouldn't be an issue. To CYA, go ahead and have it cleaned in the beginning anyways.

Better to be safe............

Ok this may be a dumb question but oh well. When using nitrox does it accually allow you to stay down longer or will your dive times be similar to a normal air fill and just have shorter surface intervals? I dont know if if that question makes sense...

Ok this may be a dumb question but oh well. When using nitrox does it accually allow you to stay down longer or will your dive times be similar to a normal air fill and just have shorter surface intervals? I dont know if if that question makes sense...

Not a dumb question.

You'll learn this in your class.

The basic premise of EAN is that N (nitrogen) is gas that controls your NDL. If you offset the N with something else, in EAN, it is O2 (oxygen), you can extend your bottom time. There are limits of depth due to O2 toxicity.

Using PADI tables, at 60fsw, you get 55mins. Using the SDI Nitrox table, using an FO2 (%O2) of 32%, at 60fsw, you get an EAD (equivalent air depth) of 50ft. Look at your air table at 50ft, which in this case gives you an NDL of 80mins.

I think that is about right. Frankly I'm not a big fan of the ole tables.

As part of your class you'll learn about the partial pressure of O2 and how to calculate it. You'll learn about the MOD of a particular % of O2 and how to calculate it.

It is a shallow gas. It isn't going to allow you to go deeper and stay long.

It will allow you to stay longer in shallower depths.

Good luck!

BTW - They are going to tell you this and teach you this. They are going to teach you to clearly mark your tank with nitrox stickers. Don't. Mark it however you need to so YOU know what you have in your tank, the date of the contents and the MOD. I now use a piece of duct tape. I found some dive shops in FL wouldn't put air in my tanks because they had Nitrox stickers on them They had air in them to begin with. It was some silly 'insurance' thing. In order to get them to fill them, they would have to VIP them. I found another dive shop that handled NITROX and would will them with air.

Assuming you don't run out of breathing gas, you can stay longer or shorten your SI or do a little of both or dive as if it were air and be a little safer. You get to choose the trade off however suits your situation.

It is a shallow gas. It isn't going to allow you to go deeper and stay long.

I think Paddler meant to say/imply that it won't allow you to stay longer based on air/gas consumption.

you'll breath the same amount/volume of air/nitrox/gas regardless of it's blend.

You will however have a longer NDL (No decompression Limit) at depths compared to regular air (21%). This doesn't mean your air consumption improves with Nitrox, but that nitrox gives you a lower nitrogen loading.... to gain full value, you will likely need a bigger volume tank or repetitive dives.

note that nitrox has a "MOD" (Max Operating Depth) based on oxygen toxicity for each percentage rating mix. You should not exceed this. :no: you'll learn all this in your Nitrox class.

Back
Top Bottom