Nitrox Tables

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scoobadiva

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone. Is there a website that will help you understand the Nitrox Dive Tables better? I'm doing the book work now and I'm already flipp'n out. I understand everything else except that part of it and it's killing me.. My dive instructor...bless his little heart, has been very patient with me..poor guy, but I don't know why I'm not getting it as fast as the other one....:confused: Thanks for any suggestions!!

Are you talking about true nitrox tables or the EAD translations?

I'm going to assume you understand the standard RDP chart you use with air. All the EAD chart does is convert your actual depth using nitrox into an equivalent "air" depth to use on the RDP. That's it.

So, first using the EAD chart you find your actual depth and then find the nitrox mix you are using on this dive. Where those two columns intersect is the depth you use on the standard RDP chart to plan your dive just as you would using "air".

You didn't say which agency you are getting certified under, but in the PADI Enriched Air Diving manual, the section that starts on page 61 explains it about as clearly as it can be. It is a somewhat confusing concept, but read it a couple of times and work the examples step by step and the lightbulb will come on.

Mountain Dog

You use them just like the air tables.

Now for the EAD chart, find the nitrogen depth you're diving.

Go across the chart to the percentage of O2 you're diving and the number at the intersect will be your equivalent air depth.

This is the dive plan depth that you will use for your dive.

Example:

The bottom of your dive is at 90'. You're diving EAN32.

Go to the left hand side of the chart where it says "Nitrogen Depth".

Go down to the 90' increment (it's in a gray row).

Now go across to the 32% column.

You will see that your EAD is 73'.

So, if you were using the Wheel, you'd plan your dive for 75'. Using the RDP air tables, you'd plan your dive for 80'.

Done and done . . .

the K

Thanks Kraken and Mountain Dog. Yes, I understand the air tables and yes I'm certfied through PADI. I brought my stuff into work today and will go over it during lunch. I will take your advices and hope the "light bulb" will go off...it's on dimmer right now. Cross your fingers.

Yeap... Planning your nitrox dives is just like any regular dives. Good thing to do will be to draw out your dive profile, and using the EAD table, convert all your depths to the adjusted ones, and work your way through it, based on your regular air tables.

Good luck!

Something you could try is: try explaining them to someone else. I'm not being sarcastic or facecious. Explain the system to an interested non-diver, or someone who doesn't know the tables. I guarantee it will help your understanding. On my EAN test, I had problems with two questions. I knew what the right answers were, but my calculations weren't matching. I went over my calculations, verbally (after guestimating the right answers) with the instructor and low and behold, it all became clear to me and he didn't even say a word.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom