Nitrox tables going too?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My PADI nitrox course taught both tables and computer. The book and video stressed the use of tables and acknowledged the use of computers. In the instruction portion of the class, the instructor went over the use of tables, but put more emphasis on using the computers. We got to see a few different models of computers and practice entering in the O2% and see how it affected the MOD. I knew how to use the tables and use the computer well before this class. A few people in the class did not know how to use tables at all. I thought the pace of my class was perfect. I think most classes should include a review on the use of tables, to some degree.

In my Nitrox class back in '06 one of the students didn't know how to use the Air tables. Half hour spent on that. And back then tables were still being taught in OW all the time.

In my Nitrox class back in '06 one of the students didn't know how to use the Air tables. Half hour spent on that. And back then tables were still being taught in OW all the time.

That's a perfect description of real life. Even in times when tables have been mandatory in the classes, the vast majority of divers forgot how to use them short after their classes, because in reality they used PCD's. I haven't seen any diver using a table outside of a class within the last 15-20 years.

That's a perfect description of real life. Even in times when tables have been mandatory in the classes, the vast majority of divers forgot how to use them short after their classes, because in reality they used PCD's. I haven't seen any diver using a table outside of a class within the last 15-20 years.

Point taken. What did those divers do for dive planning 15-20 years ago if they did not own a computer?

Point taken. What did those divers do for dive planning 15-20 years ago if they did not own a computer?

Who said they didn't own one? For example I bought my first one in 1985. It was a HansHass Decobrain. :D

my little virtual DIVE COMPUTER MUSEUM

On the other hand how many recreational divers actually plan their dives? Most of them just follow a guide or their planning means: Lets jump into the water here and see what we will find. If the first one is at 100 Bar we turn around and go back.
We don't need to discuss now if it's good or bad attitude, it's simply reality.:popcorn:

They jumped in the water, swam til they stopped getting air from their tank. Pulled the J-valve down then surfaced.:D

They jumped in the water, swam til they stopped getting air from their tank. Pulled the J-valve down then surfaced.:D
And since they were using 72 cubic foot tanks and working hard and using their air fast because they didn't have a BCD (and were usually chasing fish with speargun in hand), they would run out of air before hitting deco limits.

For those of you who believe that "learning the tables" is important (for some reason), I hope you will answer the following questions:

a. What does Pressure Group "P" mean? (Or obviously, any other letter). When I've had to teach "The Tables" (PADI's RDP) I ask the question and to date, no student has provided me with an answer. Of course, I'll freely admit, I don't know what Pressure Group "P" means either!! (Except that P.G. "P" means more residual N2 than P.G. "O" and less than "Q" -- but since I don't know what they mean either, it is pretty silly.)

b. Since teaching time is a precious and limited resource (in most teaching situations -- limited both from the standpoint of "How much time do I have" and "How much time will the student be paying attention") why waste it on something as frivolous as tables at the basic level? For the PADI OW Student, isn't the information contained in Knowledge Review 1, Question 5 much more important to actually, fully, understand in all of its ramifications? And for the Nitrox student, isn't MOD and testing much more important? Not to mention, of course, for ALL student divers, the notion that THEY WILL PROBABLY BE GAS LIMITED rather than NDL limited -- isn't "air supply management" a topic that needs the limited time for discussion?

I'm teaching a "computer only" OW class for the first time right now and I wonder if any student will ask about the stupid tables! BTW, I spent the first night's lecture on KR 1, Q5 as I believe it is the key to all of scuba diving.

And since they were using 72 cubic foot tanks and working hard and using their air fast because they didn't have a BCD (and were usually chasing fish with speargun in hand), they would run out of air before hitting deco limits.

At least in my limited early 1960s circle, the norm was to size cylinders to keep from getting too deep into decompression. But we did play close attention on repets.

I don’t recall the absence of BCs having any effect on work/consumption rates though. SAC rates had to be at least comparable because many of us could get into 5-10 minute decompression on the first dive wearing a single 72. Granted that was based on Navy tables so it was strictly square profiles. Also, nobody came back aboard with more than 3-500 PSI.

Back
Top Bottom