Nitrox special gear required?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rally

Registered
Reaction score
Just wondering been out of the loop and where I dove overseas they did'nt have Nitrox. Is there special equipment needed to do nitrox? Like will a regular regulator setup work on Nitrox tanks? Nitrox tanks are different right?

THanks

Most current regulator systems can be used with EAN mixes up to and including 40% O2. Using any EAN mix over 40% requires that a regulator system be "O2 cleaned". "O2 cleaning" is a process that replaces components that are incompatible with 100% oxygen.

Tanks that are used for EAN mixes are standard tanks that have been O2 cleaned and identified as such.

the K

Short answer... Nitrox with O2 % less than 40 (recreational nitrox diver) - No special equipment is required. Nitrox tanks are the same tanks as air tanks only they have been cleaned for nitrox use.

I guess THE K types faster than I do.

Any gear that comes into contact with oxygen per centages greater than 40% needs to be O2 cleaned. For most of us, that's tanks and valves only.

I was told by a reputable dive operator that with their compressor I could go back and forth filling my tanks with air or Nitrox, up to EAN36, without having to O2 clean because their compressor produced such clean air. I'm a bit skeptical. Is this possible?

Dennis, it's not clear what you mean. Do you mean they said you don't need O2 cleaned tanks or you won't have to have then recleaned after using air?

If the 1st, that depends on how they are filled. If they are partial pressure filled, they need to be O2 cleaned.

If the 2nd, that's true. Partial pressure filling is when pure O2 is pumped into the tanks, then it's topped off with modified grade E air. As long as they only pump modified grade E air, you should have no problems.

Yes, it is possible.
If the LDS is filling tanks via the partial pressure method, they are putting 100% oxygen in the tank and regular compressed air at different times.

The regular air is what some call "O2 compatible air".

This means that the compression system used by that LDS delivers air at a quality level that can be put directly into a "Nitrox" tank.

the K

Diver Dennis:
I was told by a reputable dive operator that with their compressor I could go back and forth filling my tanks with air or Nitrox, up to EAN36, without having to O2 clean because their compressor produced such clean air. I'm a bit skeptical. Is this possible?

Be careful - all this means is that the air from their compressor is O2 compatible as Kraken mentions, and should allow your tanks to stay O2 clean (provided they are O2 clean to begin with). In order to be able to fill nitrox using partial pressure blending, the tanks first need to be O2 clean. Not all methods of nitrox filling require O2 clean tanks.

rally:
Just wondering been out of the loop and where I dove overseas they did'nt have Nitrox. Is there special equipment needed to do nitrox? Like will a regular regulator setup work on Nitrox tanks? Nitrox tanks are different right?

THanks

You should invest in an analyzer maybe.....since a lot of times the shops might not be 100% or will be fiddled with to produce proper results. More on that HERE

It never hurts to check the mix before you take the plunge, just to be on the safe side.

Back
Top Bottom