Nitrox shortage????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see that the home oxygen concentraters, that old folks sometimes use in their last few years, typically produce a concentration of 80-90 something percent at 5-10lpm, depending on the model. Those tend to be many hundreds to a couple of thousand dollars to buy.

If someone had one of those kicking around after grandma finally passed on, & they had a small compressor like a Bauer Jr, would there be any reason not to feed the concentrater into a blending stick and make nitrox from a set up like that?

Reactions: Doc
I bought a 5liter per min one and a portable battery powered one, with a bottle filler for 1000$ about 2.5years ago,
You have to be patient and you'll find something... but now they seem to be in higher demand,

Don't know if a 5 liter per minute one is enough o2 for a small compressor....
Might have to slow down the compressor....

Reactions: Doc
Let’s see, just using numbers off the top of my head, which should probably be checked,

A Bauer Jr takes about 25 minutes to fill a 80cf tank from 0 psi.

An AL80 tank is about 11 liters in volume

An al80 tank runs at 3000psi or 200 bar

200 x 11 = 2200 liters total capacity full

5 l/min x 25 min = 125 l

125/2200 = .0568

Therefore, I would expect the O2 in the mix to get boosted by about 5.7% with a 5lpm feed rate of pure O2. A 10 lpm rig would be expected to add about 11%

An O2 feed that was 90% rather than pure, would knock those numbers down a little.

As you suggested, slowing down the compressor would increase the O2 content further.

Back
Top Bottom