Nitrox Ready?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shannon M.:
For whatever it's worth; most regulators are fine to use with recreational Nitrox (40% or below). The Compressed Gas Association (CGA), which is a non-government organization, basically says that anything below 40% O2 can be treated as air. OSHA/DOT have established a president of following CGA recommendations. The only reason NITROX Cylinders need special attention, other than markings to prevent a non-nitrox diver from using it, is because the way it's filled. Most dive shops use partial pressure blending, in which they start by putting pure O2 and then topping with air. Since they partailly fill the cylinder with pure O2, it must be O2 cleaned. The 1st and 2nd stages of the regulator should never come into contact with anything other than already blended gas below 40%. Hope I have helped.

Thanks and that was very helpful. That's what I thought. But of course, we can't question the scuba gods at Scuba magazine. It's amazing how much inaccurate drivel is promulgated about Nitrox. I'm sure my Nitrox instructor was trying to sell regulator service because he told us that he could fix us up with the "right" parts in the shop if we cared to drop off our regulators. I'm pretty sure that he said that all mixtures of Nitrox needed the special o-ring. I had just bought a new reg at that time so I didn't bother since it was sold as "nitrox compatible to 40%."

ReefGuy:
You don't need to o2 clean a reg for rec nitrox.

That's always been my understanding, but if you read the Addendum shipped with the Aqualung Legend, it states that if you switch back and forth between Nitrox (recreational or otherwise) and grade e air, you should O2 clean it.

It may not be the mag's fault. If mares wants to sell you a new reg they may have told them this. Either way it's crapola. any modern reg can be used w/rec trox. Tell the guy if he's that worried about it go buy a new one and spend the unnecessary cash. And he might want to do a review also in order to get his info straight. Sounds like a buy the book guy. You know "I bought the book on how to dive so I didn't need to listen in class, and I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express!"

Shannon M.:
For whatever it's worth; most regulators are fine to use with recreational Nitrox (40% or below). The Compressed Gas Association (CGA), which is a non-government organization, basically says that anything below 40% O2 can be treated as air.

B u L L S H * T

CGA is quite clear ANYTHING above 23.5% oxygen MUST be treated as 100% oxygen.

padiscubapro:
B u L L S H * T

CGA is quite clear ANYTHING above 23.5% oxygen MUST be treated as 100% oxygen.
Live your life in fear.

JeffG:
Live your life in fear.

Whether a person folows CGA or not that is thier right.. But My post was specifically correcting the previous posters absolutely incorrect statement about CGA requirements. Its one thing not agreeing with a standard its another thing posting wrong information.

See CGA pamphlet 4.4

also OSHA says its 23.5% in thier rules (their is one exception but it doesnt pertain to SCUBA systems)

see 29cfr1910.134 and 29cfr1910.430

padiscubapro:
Whether a person folows CGA or not that is thier right.. But My post was specifically correcting the previous posters absolutely incorrect statement about CGA requirements. Its one thing not agreeing with a standard its another thing posting wrong information.

See CGA pamphlet 4.4

also OSHA says its 23.5% in thier rules (their is one exception but it doesnt pertain to SCUBA systems)

see 29cfr1910.134 and 29cfr1910.430

On the orginal issue the R2 axis, that first stage shipped with silicone lubricant. Mares untill appox 1.5 years ago did not recommend using nitrox except on nitrox regs, they then sent a letter to dealers that up to 40% was fine

I just got NAUI certified and did my Nitrox cert right away because it was "so cheap" and my buddy dives nitrox. I am looking at Mares Regs/Octopus and am in the same situation. Up to the BULL***** comment I was convinced that up to 40% O2 all is well. Now I'm uncertain, again. I could not find a Nitrox comment on the Mares website. LeisurePro e-mailed me and said all regs are fine up to 40%. They did not mentioned silicone O-rings, although that's what I learned. On top of this my LDS lets us use the sames (cheapo) regs with (black) rubber O-rings on EANx up to 40%. I doubt I'll ever to TriMix or >40% O2 diving. I like the Mares products. Has anybody actually seen the letter from Mares re: "up to 40% is fine"? Thanks for helping a newbie figuring it out!

I have mares abyss and have dove eanx32 -36 for over a year and havent had a problem. I did my yearly service and the orings that were changed were the same. the oring on my tank is the only one that is of a different material.

from what ivre been told about o2 cleaning is mainly for the tank and the ones thatbravely fill them.100% 02 can be volatile when is contact with petroleum based products,or non oxygen cleaned fills

Back
Top Bottom