"nitrox-ready" regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rescuediver009:
It is difficult to say whether your conshelf is Nitrox ready in its present state. Different service centres use different methods of lubrication etc when servicing regs. So I would be carefule and ask them on that.
As for a new reg, they are allok for up to 40% out ofthe box as they use the proper lubricants and assembly parts (nothing too fancy) to support this.
Also I think that taking the nitrox course will eliminate alot of confusion for you.

Plus nitrox diving without certification is not too bright....

If you are able, it might be wise to take the nitrox cert before you buy. Or you can talk to your LDS about the purchase. (Although i had a lds employee tell me that regs with titianium in them couldn't be used for nitrox (i've never heard this since...anyone?) )

ScubaSixString:
Plus nitrox diving without certification is not too bright....

If you are able, it might be wise to take the nitrox cert before you buy. Or you can talk to your LDS about the purchase. (Although i had a lds employee tell me that regs with titianium in them couldn't be used for nitrox (i've never heard this since...anyone?) )
titanium plus o2 can cause combustion...that may be what they were referring to

mossym:
titanium plus o2 can cause combustion...that may be what they were referring to

But the 40% rule still applies? or no?

Still applied based on the manufacture statement. But, many divers mind it, specially in the tech market. So~~~~

ScubaSixString:
But the 40% rule still applies? or no?

DA Aquamaster:
It smells like a very conservative legal answer.
The bottom line is if the manufacturer indicates the product is not EANx ready don't use it. It may be safe but why take the chance. Also it probably would void the warranty.

Since most regs are EANx ready use one that the manufacturer has approved. :wink:

mossym:
nope, you can put air in nitrox claen tanks as long as it is clean enough, grade e i believe
Just as a general guideline, anytime you have to qualify an answer with "I believe," you should probably be asking a question instead of making a statement, don't you think? This stuff can be dangerous and, in this instance, you're mistaken.

Grade "E" air is basic scuba air and should never be used in an oxygen clean cylinder - the permissible hydrocarbon content is too high and you can build up a residue of gunk that can catch fire when exposed to high pressure concentrations of high oxygen content gas. Modified Grade "E" (sometimes referred to as "hyperfiltered") air isn't an official standard, as defined by anybody other than the scuba industry, but it's well-known, nonetheless, and is generally considered to be acceptable for mixing with oxygen.

CGA Grade E Air Standard ("Filtered" Air)
For Filling Compressed Gas Containers Using Air.
• Oxygen: 20% to 22% (balance of gas predominantly nitrogen)
• Water vapor: May vary depending on intended use
• Condensed hydrocarbons: 5 mg/m 3
• Gaseous hydrocarbons (methane): 25 ppm
• Carbon monoxide: 10 ppm
• Carbon dioxide: 1000 ppm
• Odor: none
• Sampling Frequency: Quarterly
• Lab Analysis: Recommended

NAUI Modified CGA Grade E Air Standard ("Hyperfiltered" Air)
For Filling Compressed Gas Containers Using Air to Produce Nitrox or Oxygen-Enriched Gas Mixtures.
• Water vapor:128 ppm (v/v) -40 ºF Dew Point
• Condensed hydrocarbons: 0.1 mg/m 3
• Solid particulate: none >2µm
• Carbon monoxide: 2 ppm
• Carbon dioxide: 500 ppm

In my experience, which is to say I've got nothing to base this on other than a lot of training and experience diving and mixing scuba gases, regulators used in recreational nitrox do not need to be oxygen serviced or cleaned. So long as you never expose them to concentrations above 40%, you won't need to worry about fire in your regulator. It's hard to criticize those who want to err on the side of caution and use O2 compatible regulators that have been maintained for oxygen service, though.

If you are using O2 concentrations above 40%, you should have your regulators oxygen serviced and cleaned and you should never use them with mixes that aren't "hyperfiltered." I clearly mark mine and reserve them for use with EAN50 and pure oxygen mixes used for decompression.

Cylinders are different, due to mixing requirements. If you are buying "premix" nitrox in concentrations up to EAN40, no special cleaning or servicing is required. Slap that Nitrox sticker on your tank (or not) and you're ready to go. If, however, you will be partial pressure blending mixes in your cylinder or using them for mixes higher than EAN40, you need to have the tank and valve oxygen serviced and cleaned. Once this is done, you should only use hyperfiltered mixes in the tank and NEVER fill it with Grade "E" air.

My personal standard is that oxygen service and cleaning expires after one year and needs to be redone annually. Expensive, but I've seen what valves and first stages look like after oxygen fires - scary stuff.

As to Ti regulators, I wouldn't use them in mixes above normox, but I'm of the opinion that they are little more than an expensive marketing gimmick and find myself wondering how anybody gets...manipulated...into buying one in the first place.

reefraff:

Cylinders are different, due to mixing requirements. If you are buying "premix" nitrox in concentrations up to EAN40, no special cleaning or servicing is required. Slap that Nitrox sticker on your tank (or not) and you're ready to go. If, however, you will be partial pressure blending mixes in your cylinder or using them for mixes higher than EAN40, you need to have the tank and valve oxygen serviced and cleaned. Once this is done, you should only use hyperfiltered mixes in the tank and NEVER fill it with Grade "E" air.

My personal standard is that oxygen service and cleaning expires after one year and needs to be redone annually. Expensive, but I've seen what valves and first stages look like after oxygen fires - scary stuff.

I thought that to fill any tank with nitrox of any mix it had to be O2 cleaned and serviced. Also isn't it supposed to have the big freaking "NItrox" label? BTW I took the PADI course last month...I'm going back to reread it now.

No, if it's pre-mixed, meaning the mix occurs outside the tank, then the tank doesn't have to be O2 cleaned for 40% or less.

None of my tanks are O2 clean, I dive nitrox all the time. It does mean that I can't get fills at a shop that blends inside the tank. So far not a problem, I have 2 shops that have nitrox banked where I normally get my fills.

reefraff:
Just as a general guideline, anytime you have to qualify an answer with "I believe," you should probably be asking a question instead of making a statement, don't you think? This stuff can be dangerous and, in this instance, you're mistaken.

Grade "E" air is basic scuba air and should never be used in an oxygen clean cylinder - the permissible hydrocarbon content is too high and you can build up a residue of gunk that can catch fire when exposed to high pressure concentrations of high oxygen content gas. Modified Grade "E" (sometimes referred to as "hyperfiltered") air isn't an official standard, as defined by anybody other than the scuba industry, but it's well-known, nonetheless, and is generally considered to be acceptable for mixing with oxygen.

CGA Grade E Air Standard ("Filtered" Air)
For Filling Compressed Gas Containers Using Air.
• Water vapor: May vary depending on intended use
• Condensed hydrocarbons: 5 mg/m 3
• Carbon monoxide: 10 ppm
• Carbon dioxide: 1000 ppm

NAUI Modified CGA Grade E Air Standard ("Hyperfiltered" Air)
For Filling Compressed Gas Containers Using Air to Produce Nitrox or Oxygen-Enriched Gas Mixtures.
• Water vapor:128 ppm (v/v) -40 ºF Dew Point
• Condensed hydrocarbons: 0.1 mg/m 3
• Solid particulate: none >2µm
• Carbon monoxide: 2 ppm
• Carbon dioxide: 500 ppm

In my experience, which is to say I've got nothing to base this on other than a lot of training and experience diving and mixing scuba gases, regulators used in recreational nitrox do not need to be oxygen serviced or cleaned. So long as you never expose them to concentrations above 40%, you won't need to worry about fire in your regulator. It's hard to criticize those who want to err on the side of caution and use O2 compatible regulators that have been maintained for oxygen service, though.

If you are using O2 concentrations above 40%, you should have your regulators oxygen serviced and cleaned and you should never use them with mixes that aren't "hyperfiltered." I clearly mark mine and reserve them for use with EAN50 and pure oxygen mixes used for decompression.

As to Ti regulators, I wouldn't use them in mixes above normox, but I'm of the opinion that they are little more than an expensive marketing gimmick and find myself wondering how anybody gets...manipulated...into buying one in the first place.
thanks for the correction, i always though grade e referred to hyperclean air.

question or statement, someone will always correct you on this board if you're wrong..:wink:

Back
Top Bottom