Nitrox or Air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wedivebc:
Thanks, didn't know that. I don't imagine argon is present in enough quantity to be a concern unless you were approaching pure O2 for rebreather use. The guys at Bikini use one but it only makes 94%
I've never seen a gas analysis from a membrane system, but my guess is that if you made 94% O2, the balance would be ~4% Argon and ~2% N2.

I always thought Argon was narcotic, so I'm not sure how good that mix would be to breathe.

Daryl Morse:
I've never seen a gas analysis from a membrane system, but my guess is that if you made 94% O2, the balance would be ~4% Argon and ~2% N2.

I always thought Argon was narcotic, so I'm not sure how good that mix would be to breathe.
IF there is really a membrane system out there producing usable quantities of EAN94%, then you are probably right.

Edit: Duh. Medical O2 concentrators produce that about that % of O2.

Daryl Morse:

It is, but 4% would not be enough to worry about at depths you could safely breathe 94% oxygen.

EDIT:
These guys seem to think 4% is a pretty good guess.
http://www.onsitegas.com/onsite_products_details.asp?products_code=o299

Daryl Morse:

to generate mixtres that high you typically use a PSA system.. A perfectly functioning sieve generates 95.5% oxygen and 4.5% argon..

Memebrane systems in many cases DO increase co and CO2, its not from the membrane itesef but due to the fact that the gas is typically passed through a compressor more than once (once used to create a bank of gas to feed the system and once the output of the membrane to the hp compressor) , and the co and co2 is generated from that..

As you increase the o2 content fed into a compressor (unles its oilfree) you tend to increase co and co2 production..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom