Nitrox for shallow water artifact diving??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The problems are funding and results. Who would pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to study something that would benefit a small fraction of the population? Also, how do you judge peoples' feelings? I've felt tired after a dive that I've made before and felt exhilarated afterward using the same gasses and profile.

The problems are funding and results. Who would pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to study something that would benefit a small fraction of the population? Also, how do you judge peoples' feelings? I've felt tired after a dive that I've made before and felt exhilarated afterward using the same gasses and profile.

Just looking for a way to fund my dream of diving in the South Pacific. Surely there are aerospace implications?

rx7diver

If staying at 25' it is ongassing until saturated. The expectation is that the human body can withstand saturation at that depth and a quick return to the surface. Human bodies may differ.

So what mix would be good @ 25FSW 70% maybe 100% O2? How high is up?

From the Merriam-Webster dictiionary:

However, there are two senses of theory which are sometimes troublesome. These are the senses which are defined as “a plausible or scientifically acceptable general principle or body of principles offered to explain phenomena” and “an unproven assumption; conjecture.” The second of these is occasionally misapplied in cases where the former is meant, as when a particular scientific theory is derided as "just a theory," implying that it is no more than speculation or conjecture. One may certainly disagree with scientists regarding their theories, but it is an inaccurate interpretation of language to regard their use of the word as implying a tentative hypothesis; the scientific use of theory is quite different than the speculative use of the word.
@AfterDark I fear you are using theory in the speculative sense, which is NOT appropriate for how it is used in the scientific context, as in "decompression theory," as @boulderjohn is using it.

So what mix would be good @ 25FSW 70% maybe 100% O2? How high is up?
I am really baffled by this exchange. This is all standard nitrox training.

Start with the basic equation PG = FG * P, with P expressed in ATA. If you have two of the variables, you can find the value of the other one. If we want to find the nitrox percentage (FG = Fraction of gas), we divide PG by P.

With oxygen levels, our primary concern is not exceeding a safe gas pressure (PO2), which is usually considered to be 1.4 for active diving or 1.6 for decompression stops, so let's use 1.4 for PG. For P, we have to convert 25 feet of sea water to ATA. (It will be slightly different for fresh water.) 25/33 + 1 = 1.76. Now that we have two of the variables, we can find the third. FG = PG/P, or in this case, FG = 1.4/1.76 = 79.5.

So a diver can safely use 80% nitrox at 25 feet on the 1.4 standard.

If i really want to hit my bunk before 8:00 pm after two deep (ish) dives, is that clinical fatigue?

Depends. Using a medical definition (A condition characterized by a lessened capacity for work and reduced efficiency of accomplishment, usually accompanied by a feeling of weariness and tiredness) would be maybe, however if you were physically tested and could meet the study objective standard, you would not be fatigued, only subjectively tired. If you could not meet the physical standard you would be fatigued, as well as understandably tired.

Or you could be in a different time zone and not acclimated yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom