Nitrox for shallow water artifact diving??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From the Merriam-Webster dictiionary:

However, there are two senses of theory which are sometimes troublesome. These are the senses which are defined as “a plausible or scientifically acceptable general principle or body of principles offered to explain phenomena” and “an unproven assumption; conjecture.” The second of these is occasionally misapplied in cases where the former is meant, as when a particular scientific theory is derided as "just a theory," implying that it is no more than speculation or conjecture. One may certainly disagree with scientists regarding their theories, but it is an inaccurate interpretation of language to regard their use of the word as implying a tentative hypothesis; the scientific use of theory is quite different than the speculative use of the word.
@AfterDark I fear you are using theory in the speculative sense, which is NOT appropriate for how it is used in the scientific context, as in "decompression theory," as @boulderjohn is using it.

Thank You!

I've seen a diver covered with skin bends from a day of diving the profiles as described by the OP. I would want Nitrox and probably 50-60%.

This is the part that concerns me. If anything is going to cause you an issue it would be a sawtooth profile with lots of depth changes up and down over the course of a 2 hour dive. For me ... and this is just me ... I would be using nitrox for this reason alone. To minimize tissue loading as much as possible given the sawtooth nature of your profiles.

ADD: I've known instructors who have gotten bent doing repeated CESA dives on air with multiple students from 20 ft.

"CESA dive" is not normal diving and has several other hazards even more likely to happen and with much more serious results than DCS.

By the way did the instructors report their DCS case to DAN? I would think as instructors they would want such unusually hits documented if just for educational purposes

"CESA dive" is not normal diving and has several other hazards even more likely to happen and with much more serious results than DCS.

No disagreement from me. The key point is that it is possible to get bent on 20' a dive or series of dives. The number of dives, profile, and bottom time all come into play. Don't let shallow depth fool you. You can get into trouble without diving deeper than 20'.

No disagreement from me. The key point is that it is possible to get bent on 20' a dive or series of dives. The number of dives, profile, and bottom time all come into play. Don't let shallow depth fool you. You can get into trouble without diving deeper than 20'.

I edited my post while you were posting evidently so did they report to DAN?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom