Nitrox for Liveaboard - Great Barrier Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess we should all just stop breathing since oxygen is so bad for us.
By that logic, maybe we should stop living because we die. Have you ever thought why people at higher altitudes live longer?

By that logic, maybe we should stop living because we die. Have you ever thought why people at higher altitudes live longer?
Never having heard of this, I looked it up. There are indeed some studies that indicate people live longer at higher altitudes, but other studies do not support it.

None of the ones I found attributed any benefit to supposed damage done by higher oxygen levels at lower altitudes. Lower oxygen levels were in fact considered a potential benefit in one study, but it was because of the theory that the body's need for oxygen spurred it to create more blood vessels at higher altitudes.

Never having heard of this, I looked it up. There are indeed some studies that indicate people live longer at higher altitudes, but other studies do not support it.

None of the ones I found attributed any benefit to supposed damage done by higher oxygen levels at lower altitudes. Lower oxygen levels were in fact considered a potential benefit in one study, but it was because of the theory that the body's need for oxygen spurred it to create more blood vessels at higher altitudes.
"If living in a lower oxygen environment such as in our Colorado mountains helps reduce the risk of dying from heart disease it could help us develop new clinical treatments for those conditions," said Benjamin Honigman, MD, professor of Emergency Medicine at the CU School of Medicine and director of the Altitude Medicine Clinic. "Lower oxygen levels turn on certain genes and we think those genes may change the way heart muscles function. They may also produce new blood vessels that create new highways for blood flow into the heart."

the whole I feel refreshed more on nitrox is a myth.

why. this has never been proven
Nor has it been disproved. People vary in their responses.
if you are not diving wrecks or caverns and diving to around 60 ft or less there is literally no benefit to nitrox. I always use it diving wrecks or when ill be between 80 and 100 feet for more bottom time but other than that recreationally its the same air vs nitrox. Time between dives is always long enough no matter which you use. Ive never seen proof it makes you feel better after a dive over air and ive never been able to tell the difference either. My Hawaiian buddy swears by nitrox always but he also believes Menehunes will kill you in the forests at night if you dont pee in a circle around your tent so theres that ....
You can keep saying this nonsense over and over but that does not make it more true.
Actually, excessive O2 is toxic. For that reason, our bodies have developed protective mechanisms against oxygen radicals. Supplement industry makes huge profits selling various antioxidants to that very people who always dive Nitrox. I've stated this on SB many times already, but the "I-always-dive-nitrox" crowd never gets that diving Nitrox is a trade-off: we increase bottom time sacrificing, in the long run, our health.
Bad logic. You are asserting that Nitrox is excessive O2.
Lots of possible reasons.

^^^This^^^
Wow. All full of "If" and "could" "think" "may" . Too many qualifiers to make this compelling.

What a lot of noise. Pure conspiracy theory. Save kit for the Pub.

I believe what @tarponchik says is incorrect. Short exposure to high pO2 is not deleterious.

I believe what @NAUI Wowie says is incorrect. At dives around 60 ft or more, nitrox gives you a longer NDL, allowing you to use your remaining gas time. This is particularly true for repetitive dives. Of course, if your RMV is very high, this might not be the case. For a shorter dive time, the nitrogen exposure will be lower on nitrox than on air. So, you get a longer dive and/or less nitrogen exposure

I don't see anything in there supporting what you have been saying in this thread. It does not say that oxygen itself harms the body.
If there is a fact I can give my own explanation to this fact.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom