Nitrox class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Standards are only there when it works in their favor and their agency didnt seem concerned last time I asked about standards. The shop does not do any nitrox themselves so they would have had to go and rent a tank of nitrox to have one on hand for classes.

Besides they teach nitrox but tried to scare their open water students about the dangers of partial pressure nitrox becoming unmixed when their students asked me about my nitrox banded tanks.

Im not worried about it after getting my nitrox card I took a blender course through a different agency now I am truly dangerous.

Standards are only there when it works in their favor and their agency didnt seem concerned last time I asked about standards. The shop does not do any nitrox themselves so they would have had to go and rent a tank of nitrox to have one on hand for classes.

Besides they teach nitrox but tried to scare their open water students about the dangers of partial pressure nitrox becoming unmixed when their students asked me about my nitrox banded tanks.

Im not worried about it after getting my nitrox card I took a blender course through a different agency now I am truly dangerous.

I'm sure you are a perfectly safe diver, and the fact that you sought addition training supports that theory.
but please consider those who did not,and dont know what they missed.
While the act of analyzing tanks may seem mundane and unnecessary to some , it really is a very important part of the class.
if you are not trained in calibrating the tester and using it properly, the outcome can literally be deadly.

Whoever this shop is, if they break standards on one class, you can bet they do it on others, and that only make it harder on the good instructors who may one day end up diving with and or offering additional training to those students

Not really.

I find it hard to believe that the shop does not own a nitrox analyzer. There should be some time somewhere that it would be needed. Use it on an air tank and it should tell you that the O2 percentage is about 21. That would work for me--the student is learning the exact process of analyzing a tank for O2 percentage.

I'm really bothered by this, on several levels. This attitude of indifference toward training and standards needs to be eliminated, not laughed at or ignored. The name of the shop needs to be exposed, the shop and the Instructor need to be reported to their agency, and customers need to go elsewhere. When we tolerate their incompetence and dangerous practices, we simply encourage their behavior and do a disservice and possibly harm to we divers. If someone has had this experience with a shop, class, or instructor, they need to not shrug it off but step forward and complain, report, and shame the offenders.
Rant over.

I see no exoneration for dividing one topic in two courses - Nitrox and Advanced Nitrox. I had the Nitrox with SSI and Adv. Nitrox with TDI. The content was identical in both agencies and both courses. Nothing more than a ripoff.

Last edited:
Standards are only there when it works in their favor and their agency didnt seem concerned last time I asked about standards.

Can you elaborate on this? My impression of PADI is that they are very much concerned about maintaining standards. When a standards violation is reported to PADI, they usually take the information and take appropriate action, but they don't then give a full report of that action to the original reporter (i.e. if you report the shop, PADI deals with the shop, but they don't afterward report back to you on what they did.) That lack of "post-action reporting" to you might make it appear that they blew you off.

The shop does not do any nitrox themselves so they would have had to go and rent a tank of nitrox to have one on hand for classes.

Not having the necessary equipment on hand doesn't excuse an instructor from the standards. My shop doesn't fill nitrox cylinders and doesn't have an analyzer. When I teach nitrox I have to bring in my own cylinders and analyzer.

To be clear they did have an analyzer on hand and we did discuss how to use it but the sensor was old enough it wouldnt calibrate it was more a show and tell of a this is how it should be used. I contacted their agency asking if open water and confined dives being completed at the same time but no response.

I am not trying to cause problems as I am already on shakey standing with their shop since my deep diver course incident. Im hoping to get a credit and or a discount on self reliant course instead of deep diver then I will stay far away from them its kind of a lack of options thing.

Lets get back on topic "Yea Nitrox" sorry for the derailing of the thread. Lesson learned always check out the instructors you are going to be using.

I see no exoneration for dividing one topic in two courses - Nitrox and Advanced Nitrox. I had the Nitrox with SSI and Adv. Nitrox with TDI. The content was identical in both agencies and both courses. Nothing more than a ripoff.
Don't know anything about SSI and TDI. But there is day and night differences between PADI's Basic Nitrox and IANTD's Adv Nitrox. The Adv Nitrox includes 50% deco mix for light deco with a backmount twin set throw in as well. You can get away with a single tank with H-valve as alternative. Whatever it is, two independent 1st stages are required for the course.

I can't get over how some people make the simplest things into a major undertaking... We are not talking about multiple mixed gases with long deco... Take analyzer hook to tank... Turn on valve to read O2 percentage, Look at Nitrox table and not air table or punch in O2 percentage into computer.. Or just dive the Nitrox on air tables and don't go deeper than the rock bottom for that mix... DONE... That's it... Is there more to it ? Yes, But 85% of diver only need the basics....

Jim...

I can't get over how some people make the simplest things into a major undertaking... We are not talking about multiple mixed gases with long deco... Take analyzer hook to tank... Turn on valve to read O2 percentage, Look at Nitrox table and not air table or punch in O2 percentage into computer.. Or just dive the Nitrox on air tables and don't go deeper than the rock bottom for that mix... DONE... That's it... Is there more to it ? Yes, But 85% of diver only need the basics....

Jim...
Well, with a few exceptions I agree with you. Calibrating the analyzer is pretty important.....and watching people at dive resorts it is clear many do not have a clue about calibration. Turning on the valve just a bit and not too much is pretty important; depending on the analyzer too much gas flow can blow out the sensor or at least give a reading that is way too high. Rock bottom is the term for something else....I think you mean Maximum Operating Depth.

Maybe the problem is that people think it is so trivial that they stop thinkng.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom