Nitrox class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OR, You can just take Nitrox tanks and dive them... It's all of 5 minutes to understand Nitrox diving... Ok, Maybe 10 minutes if your slow...

Jim....

I must be extremely slow in learning, the PADI basic nitrox course that I took in 1997 required two actual dives + course work which included several calculations on various topics eg. best mix, MOD based on PPO2 etc etc.

I must be extremely slow in learning, the PADI basic nitrox course that I took in 1997 required two actual dives + course work which included several calculations on various topics eg. best mix, MOD based on PPO2 etc etc.
Yeah, we did all that too in'06. I have to admit that if I had an occasion to use nitrox to 130' I recall 28% is appropriate--but I'd have to get out my old notes to see the formulas and understand why. Even though they're not rocket science.

I did PADI Nitrox in 2014 with no dives and no nitrox in the shop we talked about analyzers but never analyzed a tank.

With the SDI course we got Ntirox tables including O2 loading on the back. I modified by adding lines for 1.2 and 1.3. to the 1.4 and 1.6. Tables cover all mixes from 21 to 40. So do not need the formaulas,unless you add your own lines for 1.2 and 1.3 like I did but that is a one time thing.

I did that, too, back then. The exam was long, with challenging math. The hardest part was the parts where you had to figure out which was the greater limit on your dive--pulmonary oxygen toxicity or decompression limits. In order to make a dive sequence in which that could be something you had to consider, they had to come up with something that no diver could have possibly ever done. Eventually they realized that there was no point in preparing people for eventualities that are never gong to exist. The old course had you do all sorts of learning to avoid pulmonary oxygen toxicity; the modern course barely mentions it because it just isn't going to happen. Nitrox was once the boogeyman that was going to kill you if you don't watch out, but now we know that in recreational diving, it just isn't much of a threat. Today's course reflects that change in thought.

Technical diving is different.

And Now I have a computer to do the math for me....:D

Jim...

I still meet divers who couldn't tell the difference between PPO2 and FO2.
The computer will take care of that as long as you know how to use it properly and understand the meaning when it starts flashing or the alarm went off.

Perhaps it is only the first page of the thread. Give it time.

I'm amazed at the inconsistency between the advice in this thread vs what is advised in (it seems like) a hundred other threads, where the paraphrased advice to this OP would be to make sure you get a class that covers all aspect of higher O2 and has lots of tables and equations just in case you ever decide to go on to more advanced diving. Then someone would say don't go for the cheapest class, go for the best instructor. Oh, and someone would come along and say forget PADI, go do the TDI Nitrox class.

So what is it about this thread that has kept the advice on point and in the box?

---------- Post added December 24th, 2015 at 09:21 AM ----------

I did my nitrox through nauii and none of that stuff you mention was in it. I took it in 03. Perhaps i was old school but none of the math was challenging. There are probably many things to reconcile the differences. My class room was slide show and then there was discussion and than a test. Practical was testing tanks filling out the log and making 2 dives with a gas change involved.

I did that, too, back then. The exam was long, with challenging math. The hardest part was the parts where you had to figure out which was the greater limit on your dive--pulmonary oxygen toxicity or decompression limits. In order to make a dive sequence in which that could be something you had to consider, they had to come up with something that no diver could have possibly ever done. Eventually they realized that there was no point in preparing people for eventualities that are never gong to exist. The old course had you do all sorts of learning to avoid pulmonary oxygen toxicity; the modern course barely mentions it because it just isn't going to happen. Nitrox was once the boogeyman that was going to kill you if you don't watch out, but now we know that in recreational diving, it just isn't much of a threat. Today's course reflects that change in thought.

Technical diving is different.

I did PADI Nitrox in 2014 with no dives and no nitrox in the shop we talked about analyzers but never analyzed a tank.

The no dives is fine, but not analyzing tanks is a standards violation

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom