Nitrox Class Without Tables or Math...OK?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nomad

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
[MODERATOR EDIT: This thread is a split from another related thread (see post#13) ]

Wow. It sounds like you are encouraging people to turn OFF the computer between their ears when they turn ON the computer at the end of the high-pressure hose.

Is that really a good idea?

You misunderstood my posting.

You are right, I haven't attended any of your classes.

I wasn't pre-judging. Your original post said you were teaching diving a computer without needing to understand the formulas and tables. I merely asked if that was a good idea. If you are teaching more than that, please tell me about it. I'd love to hear more about your approach.

It was not my intent to offend you.

If you are diving a computer, learning how to calculate MODs, EADs and such is irrelevant for the safe usage of NitrOx. This class focuses on the SAFETY aspects of diving with NitrOx. Computers are ONLY a tool: just as tables and depth guages are only tools. Learning to use them means learning their limitations as well.

If you dive using tables, then this class is not for you.

NetDoc:
If you are diving a computer, learning how to calculate MODs, EADs and such is irrelevant for the safe usage of NitrOx.

Says you.

This class focuses on the SAFETY aspects of diving with NitrOx.

How so?

NetDoc:
No more complicated formulas and tables.
That's how I learned. I was taught to calculate MOD and PPO2 and EAD, but the formulas were not complicated, just basic Jr. high school math. That way, when I used my computer I knew the whys of it, which is basic safety, IMO.

Doc, I'm hoping your not leaving out these very easy principals in your class (I can't imagine you would). No one ever taught me the complicated ones.

PPO2 on the fly:

How deep am I? 65'. That's about 3ATA. I'm using 32%. Three times three equals nine. So my PPO2 is about .9.

I'm told that metric is even easier.

OK, maybe, elementary school math.

_

Yes and knocking off about %20 gets you pretty close to your EAD but personally I'd be happy even rounding that off in my head and calling it 50ft.

Letting people think it's hard or complicated will sell more computers and "easy" classes though.

NetDoc:
Taught at World Water Sports/ Divers Direct

SDI Easy Nitrox Class - Orlando

Get Nitrox Certified Today, The Easy Way!

No more complicated formulas and tables. All diving is based on a Nitrox Computer. Get the most from your dives the easy way.

5368 International Drive
Orlando Fl 32819

Store Phone (407) 354-3644
Instructor Cell (407) 509-0947
NetDoc@ScubaBoard.com

Class schedule:
Tuesday, May 30th, 2006
6:00 PM – 9:00 PM

For more info on this and other classes that I teach, please refer to Divers Direct Calendar

When I first saw this I thought it was a joke. I can't believe you are serious. I've never heard of anyone say I was going to take the Nitrox course but I've heard it's too complicated so I'll wait for an easier version to come out. This is just an ad to sell Nitrox computers.

I have Some questions. Pete, aren't you a NAUI instructor? What made you decide to teach the SDI nitrox course rather than the NAUI course?

I agree that the math is presented poorly in most texts I've seen . That's even more true for gas blending courses where they really hose it all up...and that's true for every text that I've seen. That's all something that the instructor can help with though if they have a good understanding of the subject.

MOD should be marked on the tank and it may be a required entry in a dive shop log. I don't know about any one else but I don't need a dive computer to buy gas, fill out shop logs or mark my tanks. How are these divers taught to do it if they aren't taught to calculate MOD?

While using standard gasses greatly simplify everything, how are these students taught to figure out what gas they even want for a dive if they aren't taught to calculate MOD? Not that I'm in favor of using it but what about "best mix"

Do they need a dive computer with them so they can use a simulation mode or something? That seems like it could be a big inconvenience. Paper and pencil are available about everyplace as are plain old math calculators but we don't all carry a dive computer with us and we might even be ordering gas over the phone from work.

I'm looking forward to discussing it but from my point of view really understanding the subject including the simple math allows for the greatest flexability and freedom. Sometimes things that seem easy and short aren't easy or short and could leave you like a lost ball in the high weeds at the worst times.

gcbryan:
When I first saw this I thought it was a joke. I can't believe you are serious. I've never heard of anyone say I was going to take the Nitrox course but I've heard it's too complicated so I'll wait for an easier version to come out. This is just an ad to sell Nitrox computers.

It's more than that. Lets not forget that some agencies allow children to dive before they've even finished learning their multiplication tables. A little math can indeed get in the way of industry objectives.

Oh well, it's not illegal so an instructor can do it if they want. No dives...no math...maybe I'll market a mail order card and include the math at no extra cost. SDI eat your heart out. Heck, the course could consist of nothing but a liability release that states that the student understands that they will certainly die if they don't go educate themself on x, y and z.

Back
Top Bottom