Nitrox Cert: Dives or Simulations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SMAE

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a trip planned for Grand Cayman coming up. I am going to get my AOW certification while on the island. I also want to get my Nitrox certification. My dive shop offers the Nitrox certification with pre-dive simulations. Would it be better to take the course while on vacation and actually do the dives instead of opting for simulations? Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks!!

In my "super-specialty, 30 second Nitrox class" (:wink:) we only do "simulation" dives (well actually, we just simulate a simulation dive).

Honestly, there is nothing to actually diving Nitrox -- the only condition is that you monitor your depth close enough to stay above the MOD (Maximum Operating Depth). Although I actually did dives in my Nitrox class, I see absolutely no reason for doing so.

Just follow the "30 Second Nitrox Class" rules:

a. Always analyze your own tank.

b. Only dive 32%.

c. Stay above 100 feet.

d. Breathe.

As a PADI Instructor who teaches the Enriched Air Specialty, I don't take students on the OW dives unless they want to. Diving NITROX is the same as diving air except you really have to watch your depth because your MOD is a lot less (in most cases) than diving air. If you can monitor your depth on air, and you have decent buoyancy, ten you will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added May 6th, 2013 at 08:45 AM ----------

Oh, and dive whatever percentage that is advantages to your dive plan. If you are going less than 100, then 36% is better than 32%. Just do the math or look at your DC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for your "Super-specialty, 30 second Nitrox Class" overview and rules. With your assistance, I have decided to get the Nitrox cert before leaving on vacation so that I have more time to DIVE :D.

Agreed no reason to dive. Just learn to find the best gas for your dive plan. Sometimes I dive 36, 32, 28 etc.... Just depends and always analyze.

OH and don't forget to set your computer! I just leave mine on nitrox at all times and set it to 21 for air. I just get in the habit bc I'm the type that might forget.

I did my nitrox course with a PADI Rec-Tec instrutor the same time i did my deep diver course. I did all four dives on nitrox. I was taught to plan how deep i was diving then see which nitrox blend to use. I was taught calulate to nitrox blend with tables and to use pen and paper to calulate to the foot what blend to use. I am happy i did the course at home instead of on vacation

Good choice OP more diving! I did the Nitrox w/o dives. My 1st Nitrox dive was a private trip to a 130fsw wreck on 28% no problems. Enjoy!

I have a trip planned for Grand Cayman coming up. I am going to get my AOW certification while on the island. I also want to get my Nitrox certification. My dive shop offers the Nitrox certification with pre-dive simulations. Would it be better to take the course while on vacation and actually do the dives instead of opting for simulations? Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks!!

If you do the dives you can count one towards your AOW cert. That may help balance cost if you need to.

The best thing about doing the dives is planning the dive and getting the nitrox you want, not the nitrox you're given. If you know the wreck site is going to be 30m no deeper, grab some 35%. That shallow afternoon reef dive is max depth 12m, grab some 40%. Make the blender work for his money!! Otherwise you are not using what you learn on the nitrox course.

Nitrox is easy enough. On a matter of principle/ethics however, I personally won't certify someone as competent to do something unless I've actually seen them do it. I'm more than happy to combine nitrox with other training, but I always do the dives.

Don't waste your vacation time in the classroom. The simulation dives are plenty.

Analyze, mark your MOD's, stay within them, and do your pressure groups after the "dive". It'll be as useful as actually diving.

To me, there is to actually DO the dives during the class. I did them after the fact, the next weekend, just for fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom