Nitrox and Photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jepuskar once bubbled...
You know that diving Nitrox while going off of Air Tables doesn't really offer you an significant safety advantages..right?
Jason

Wrong!! Think about it. If you dive nitrox while following air tables it will give you less nitrogen saturation. That means you can push the limits of the air tables more safely. Just be sure to pay attention and dont exceed you MOD for that mix.

lal7176 once bubbled...

Wrong!! Think about it. If you dive nitrox while following air tables it will give you less nitrogen saturation. That means you can push the limits of the air tables more safely. Just be sure to pay attention and dont exceed you MOD for that mix.

while logic would seem to indicate this, the statistics don't bear it out. in a number of articals it has been pointed out that the instances of DCI are the same for air and nitrox when useing air tables. i know it was in the padi pro journal a few years ago and i think DAN has similar info also.

James connell once bubbled...

while logic would seem to indicate this, the statistics don't bear it out. in a number of articals it has been pointed out that the instances of DCI are the same for air and nitrox when useing air tables. i know it was in the padi pro journal a few years ago and i think DAN has similar info also.

James,

Do you have anymore information about this? I'm thinking either rapid ascents, possible pre-existing conditions, etc?

From what I remember from Nitrox class, there IS a problem with using air tables with Nitrox. Nitrox may reduce nitrogen content, but you have to contend with oxygen toxicity. This gets more dangerous with depth, but my understanding is the reason for seperate tables is to avoid oxygen toxicity.

AliKat once bubbled...
but my understanding is the reason for seperate tables is to avoid oxygen toxicity.

That's not the reason for different tables.

cornfed once bubbled...

James,

Do you have anymore information about this? I'm thinking either rapid ascents, possible pre-existing conditions, etc?

Not off the top of my head. i recently moved to alaska and couldn't justify shipping my old magazines, so i can't give which issue ect.
as i remember the statisics weren't specific as to what caused the DCS.

it did include "undeserved" hits however.

i believe this is the reason PADI stopped marketing nitrox as a "safer air" however.

AliKat:

If you kept your PO2 down to 1.4 ATA, you'd be severely hard pressed to get oxtoxed in a 24hr period. You'd have to be doing some rude bottom times, maxed out @ 1.4ATA continuously for as many dives as you could handle.

While theoretically possible (@1.4 ATA) REALITY dictates that keeping the PO2 to 1.4 or less will eliminate the oxygen toxicity problem.

That's ONE reason why, when we tech diver, we NEVER exceed 1.4 at depth.

Rec Nitrox divers would do well to do the same. Oxygen is far less tolerant.

Then again, I know guys that exceed 1.8ATA (PO2). Fortunately, not often, and not for long.

James:

I'd love to read that article, as, as you say, logic dictates that it would be a safer dive.

I accept that logic (And live by it) so I question the REASON for the added accidents. I'd expect to see reasons other than a straight undeserved DCS hit.

DeepScuba once bubbled...
I'd expect to see reasons other than a straight undeserved DCS hit.

I'd Expect to see reasons for any DCS hit! but unfortuanatly there are hits that can't be explained ( some i think are just CYAs ).
A resent one i heard about was a guy who dove edmonds underwater park ( Max depth ~ 35 ft) he did an hour dive and spent the best part of a day out of the water then drove over a ~3000ft pass to get home - had a DCS hit on the 2nd day! by all calculations he should have been OK- no danger of a hit at all.

i'll email a buddy of mine who has all the padipro mags, he'll probably know what issue it's in - i'll ask him to send the jist of the artical as well. may take a few days though - he's notoriuosly slow for his responces.

Well, I guess its obvious I need to go back over my nitrox book. I haven't dove with it since I trained.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom