Nitrox and Oxygen Toxicity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really sympathize with the question. I, too, would love to see some good data. The main trouble is that scientists really don't have a good understanding of the mechanisms that cause ox tox. That makes it harder to model it, but even so, the rules of thumb we are given in training aren't that good. All that time we used to spend calculating CNS% and OTUs to be told they're very poor guides indeed - though better than nothing. At least, they make you aware of the problem and monitor your dose. Given the huge variations between people, and the large variations from the same person day to day it's impossible to be sure how much risk you're really taking on, though. The more you push the limits the more you realize how fuzzy those limits are.

Go to 'oxygen toxicity' on Wikipedia, then follow the links at the bottom: there are some great links there.

Abbo:
Go to 'oxygen toxicity' on Wikipedia, then follow the links at the bottom: there are some great links there.
Thanks! (since we are one of those links...)

We recieved permission for this workshop a few weeks ago but this thread motivated me to add it to the repository this morning. This is still the best review available even though it was held in 2000. (very large file, I'll try to break it down into chapters later today)

Lang, MA (ed) 2001. DAN Nitrox Workshop Proceedings. Divers Alert Network, Durham, N.C., 197p.
http://archive.rubicon-foundation.org/4855

Also, please check out our "suggested reading list" for more reading material.

DAN tracks P02 and injuries in recreational dives for many years. However this chart has not been used in the 2005 or 6 report.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 65
Saturation:
DAN tracks P02 and injuries in recreational dives for many years. However this chart has not been used from the 2005 report onward.
Note the key wording... "No oxygen toxicity events ... in these samples"
In other words, it's just a graph showing max PO2 encountered on dives where there was some injury... but none of the injuries were oxtox or oxtox related - and that's probably why they quit publishing the chart: it may be interesting to someone, but it doesn't have any relevance, meaning or use with respect to diving injuries.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom