Nitrox analyzer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've used many over the years. The Palm is easy to use, easy to carry, and cheap enough. I'm also a big fan of Divesoft products, and while their O2 analyzer is a bit pricey, I do use their Trimix analyzer.

the Palm D manual say "should NEVER be calibrated with air or 21% oxygen with the intent of taking oxygen measurements at oxygen levels above 30% oxygen".
Lol, it also says that doing so "may compromise" the safety of users. Kinda like driving more than 0 mph may compromise safety. There are some risks I am willing to take. YMMV.

There are some risks I am willing to take. YMMV.
I remember buying a NitrOx rated regulator 20 years ago, that plainly stated it shouldn't be used for NitrOx. It's the corporate version of CYA. Make it impossible to follow your rules, so that you can claim that they abused the system should anyone get hurt.

If I were buying one today, I'd probably get the Divesoft DNA. Looks pretty slick. Compact enough to carry with you.

However, I bought one years ago. Probably about 10 years ago or so. I bought an Oxycheq El Cheapo. Requires a bit of DIY, but not too difficult if you know how to solder.

There were a couple things I didn't like about it out of the box, but was able to get the parts from Oxycheq to correct these issues.
  • The potentiometer that comes in the kit is quite sensitive. IIRC, it only had about 360 degrees of motion.
    • Solution: Replaced it with a 10 turn potentiometer. Much easier to calibrate.
  • The kit comes with a PVC T and diverter to direct tank air to the sensor. It works, just requires you to crack open the tank while holding the T against the valve. That can be loud.
    • Solution: Replaced the T with a nozzle (for the Expedition Analyzer), a length of tubing and a quick connector for the LPI hose. Much quieter and also controls the flow better.
Normally, I'll use the shop's analyzer when I pick up my tanks, but will also use this one if the tanks have sat for a while. In fact, I'll be using it today. My buddy picked up my tanks from the shop, and I didn't witness the analysis. I trust him to do it, but I'll verify anyway.

I have the Palm unit and it works well, but I ask myself do most divers need an analyzer at all. Most can analyze with the shop's/boat's unit when getting fills from them. The only reason I have one at all, is because we sometimes transfill our doubles with different mixes of air or nitrox when diving where fills aren't easily available, or on all day multidive charters.

I have the Palm unit and it works well, but I ask myself do most divers need an analyzer at all. Most can analyze with the shop's/boat's unit when getting fills from them. The only reason I have one at all, is because we sometimes transfill our doubles with different mixes of air or nitrox when diving where fills aren't easily available, or on all day multidive charters.
Not having one leads to poor decision making when you forget to analyze at the shop, or the boats analyzer "broke that morning."

but I ask myself do most divers need an analyzer at all.
For most it's a matter of convenience. I've seen mornings on some trips where a dozen divers are trying to use the same analyzer. I would rather have one that I can rely on for just me. I don't mind sharing, but only after I have analyzed my own tanks.

I have had good luck with the palm o2 analyzer. I use one personally and stock them for customers. The DNA is a nice option if you are a phone person. I have used them and they work well. I just prefer to not need a second piece of equipment to use it.

Lol, it also says that doing so "may compromise" the safety of users. Kinda like driving more than 0 mph may compromise safety. There are some risks I am willing to take. YMMV.
Haha yeah, the safest option is to just not dive, but where is the fun in that!

But it is interesting that the Palm manual says this but the Divesoft one doesn't. Though the difference probably has more to due to with which lawyer reviewed the manual then any technical differences with the analyzers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom