Nitrox 28 in one tank and smooth classic air in the other

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks everyone for the advice greatly appreciated,
now what if I wanted to use it as a stage bottle instead of for emergency, would adding extra time to a deep stop and safety stop work?

Thanks

dave

Stage bottles are for decompression diving. If you want to do deco diving, get some tech training. You'll learn all about why having less O2 in your deco gas than in your back gas is a silly thing to do.
For one thing, it's not nearly so simple as "add some extra time to a deep stop"...

Sorry should have made it clear,
want to add more dive time but still stay within the no - deco limits

A bail out bottle should not be included in gas planning for bottom time.

A bailout bottle is just that. Including it in your gas planning as a way to extend your bottom time is a mistake. Anytime you have to use your bailout bottle as anything other than ballast, you've had some major problems.

Sorry should have made it clear,
want to add more dive time but still stay within the no - deco limits

A bigger tank, or doubles would be the way to accomplish that. Planned depth, dive duration, and gas mix would factor in (you obviously already know that part).

Go from there, and determine your gas requirements.

-Mitch

---------- Post added at 09:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 PM ----------

Thanks everyone for the advice greatly appreciated,
now what if I wanted to use it as a stage bottle instead of for emergency, would adding extra time to a deep stop and safety stop work?

Thanks

dave

Some sort of technical dive training would be the next step, if you are wanting to do this.
See above, if you are just wanting to extend your dive time without a deco obligation.

They are two different things...just depends on what you want to accomplish.

-Mitch

Seriously, if you have to ask this question, you need additional training before you try to figure this stuff out by reading scuba board. The very act of switching to another gas source requires training and procedures to include gas identification and verification by your team mate, not to mention justification for the silly idea to begin with. Get a bigger tank, dive Nitrox, stay close to your buddy and practice sharing gas in case you need it. Stay well within no-decompression limits and don't increase the complexity of your dive with a "pony" or "stage" or whatever you want to call it until you get training.

+2 divealaska.

Thanks for the dry suit class years ago. :)

-Mitch

Thanks everyone, the pony is staying home until I get my tanks filled with air.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom