Nitrox 19cf pony tank needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello all, can you all tell me a good reliable Nitrox compatable 19cf pony tank brand and were to buy it, also the best way to attach it, sling, to tank etc, etc. A link to were i can purchase it along with the sling/attachment, i live in South Florida, thanks all.

Zeagle makes a pony system with everything included and they are reasonable priced (around $300 I think). It includes the reg the bottle and I believe the small gauge with the bag and transfill cable.

I was looking for it but then decided to get a standard reg so I can use it in a double setup later. I ended up with 30cuf Catalina bottle, was playing with positioning it (back mounted or slinging) and found slinging more comfortable and balanced.

You can make a sling yourself from the stuff you can buy at home depot for around $20 , all back mounting systems are much more expensive.

All the new bottles I have seen came Nitrox (O2 to be exact) clean

Thanks all for your help, i have chosen to buy 2, a 19 for travel and a 30 for local deep dives, I will backclamp it to my tank so it is out of my way (I spearfish every time and lobster in season) and purchase another reg for it, little pricey but well worth it for me and my wife feels better as well.

Congratulations! I think you have made a great choice and one I hope to duplicate.

I still have a mental block with clamping the pony to the main tank. What if I want to hand it off to someone? What if they are inside something - cave, wreck? What if I want to ditch my BP/W and do some kind of bizarre ascent with just the pony (I don't know WHY I would want to do this, I'm just saying...)?

I don't want the clamped cylinder to change my radius of gyration by being directly behind the main tank. It would tend to make me roll face up. I guess I am ok with it being side clamped but that might be awkward with the wing.

Maybe there is a quick-release mechanism for rear mounting.

I haven't researched this enough to know what I plan to do. I'm still coming up with questions.

I have settled on the sizing and it agrees with what you have selected.

Richard

IceBergSlim, would you please elaborate how the need for a true alternative air supply depends upon the experience :confused:

Asking for a "nitrox compatatable" pony shows a lack of understanding on quite a few levels.

It's cool you are concerned about redundancy but any alternaitive airsource other than your buddy would be less than helpfull at this time. I would advise thinking more about the training you recieved and less about bulky, elaborate "fixes" to situations that you already know how to avoid in the first place.

Honest question: do you really feel you are in danger of running out of gas during the dives you are currently doing? Is your gear so faulty and your buddy so distant that you would rather rely on a device that you don't have any assurances will really work when you need it? (and don't get me started on the idea of "handing them off" to a distressed diver)

I admit I am biased about pony bottles. They have become quite fashionable over the last few years but to date I have rarely seen a new diver provide a good reason why they feel they are worthwhile.

Sure they have their uses but most early career divers would be better off spending time on working their training and not on adding more gear to avoid problems they have been trained to avoid in the first place.

Safe diving

Back
Top Bottom