Nitrogen Narcosis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Karel26

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello fellow bubble blowers. .

When i did my AOW course, my instructor asked me and my dive buddy
when does narcisis start. . I gave him my answer and he said i was his
second student in over 10 years who got the qeustion right. .

So my qeustion to you are when does narcosis start? ? :think:

Happy and safe diving Karel. .

When does being drunk begin, when you drink the first drink. Narcosis begins when you take your first breath underwater, but just like being drunk when you begin to recognize its effects varies.

When does being drunk begin, when you drink the first drink. Narcosis begins when you take your first breath underwater, but just like being drunk when you begin to recognize its effects varies.

Like he said. The accepted depth where most divers start feel it and begin to have trouble is >100fsw

The smart-a$$ answer to your question is...no one really knows.

Being able to answer the question accurately presumes that we have a reliable, reproducible method for measuring narcosis in the first place. A separate but related issue is that we don't even know the precise mechanism responsible for the phenomenon. We know that it's correlated with the increased solubility of inert gas in body tissues at an elevated ambient pressure. We think it might have something to do with inert gas dissolving into neuronal membranes and interfering with electrical signaling from neuron-to-neuron.

I'd say that captain's answer is probably the most conservative answer one could give. It was likely the answer that your instructor was looking for. Hopefully, your instructor went on to discuss the common symptoms of narcosis and the "usual" depths at which it becomes noticeable. It can be observed in some individuals at relatively shallow depths, but it almost always becomes more conspicuous at depths in the range of 100 fsw.

The narcotic effects of nitrogen begin at pressures exceeding atmospheric pressure. In other words, immediately upon descent.

The narcotic effects of nitrogen begin at pressures exceeding atmospheric pressure. In other words, immediately upon descent.
@DCBC: Are you sure about this? (This should stimulate some discussion. :D )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom