Niterider lights??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crpntr133

lost, even with a compass
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anybody use a Niterider light? They seem to be a decent light but after searching this board and others it seems that nobody uses them. It is usually DR or Salvo.

They are decent but not in the same league as salvo or DR. I am a dealer for salvo and DR and can get you a deal on either one of them. I also have a used blackwater 3000 for 250 if you are interested.

Brent

I do agree that they aren't in the same league but then again I'm not planning on doing any cave diving or wreck penetrations. I wouldn't mind a Salvo but too much money for my blood. DR, I am seeing a lot of leak problems. Correct me if I am wrong.

I will keep the Blackwater in mind since that was what I was thinking of.

If I am not mistaken they do have a lifetime warranty except for the bulb and battery. That's a nice feature on an expensive light. Mine gave me good service but I started carrying salvo and diverite lights. The two different light settings are nice to extend burn time. It is really bright at it's high setting.

Brent

I have two sets of NiteRiders: HID and Halogen with LED dual light. Those lights were used in Yucatan caves, Truk wrecks, oil rigs and SoCal night and lobster diving for last two years. I would not change them for Salvo or DR and I say this even if my friend is Salvo dealer. Also manufacturer service is "The Best". Over time only time I had to use service was when I requested to do custom modification to my dual halogen to have additional redundancy in caves. Original battery set was replaced with two independent metal hydride sets, new switch was installed and one halogen light was replaced with LED unit. I had also opportunity to use this set for extended period of time in dry caves without any problems.

I have a niterider seatorch I paid 40 bucks (brand new) for on ebay. Had a friend who is a cave diver suggest getting one. He uses a sartek 10 watt HID and says the niterider is almost as bright. Leisure pro has them for 56 bucks. Why pay 500 to 1000 bucks for something that is used at night,,,,,,,sometimes !!??

They do have a lifetime warranty on most of the system...didn't know that.

The thing I liked most was the simplicity of the system.

Yeah, not all of them do. I think if the light says dive lights international or something like that the warranty applies. They switched owners or management or something at one point.

Brent

I have both a Nite Rider and a Salvo light, and this is my take on them:

I bought the Nite rider when I was still using a standard BC. It was the only canister light I knew of that you could attach to anything other than a harness. It has a very small battery pack, and a tiny light head which literally disappears on the back of your hand. The battery pack is sealed and has only a small port where the charger attaches, so it is difficult to flood. The bulb is durable and sturdy.

The downside is focus. Unlike the Dive Rite and Salvo HID lights, the beam is quite diffuse. That makes it an EXCELLENT night light, especially in clear water, but far less useful in daylight or night conditions in turbid water.

It's a good value for money, especially if you are using a BC, but if you are using a harness, I think you are better served with the Dive Rite 10W HID for roughly the same price, and with far better focus. Or open your veins and just spring for the Salvo 21W and smile every time you get it out to take it diving :)

The HID bulbs come in two levels regarding degrees. 13 and 6. We have found that the 6 degree bulbs tend to be less focused than the 13 degree bulbs. This is why the 13 degree bulbs are standard on our lights. Special order the more penetrating 6 degree bulbs? No problem.

Some of our clients use the Dual HID Head with one 6 and one 13 degree bulb.
http://www.niteriderdive.com/graphics/HID_DUAL_SYST2.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom