NiMH battery pack questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AdamHorsman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Greetings. I would like to make a second battery pack for my canister light, but have a questions regarding MaH. Currently, my battery pack (Stealthdive.com light) has ten 4500mah cells. (they are a little larger than AA cells) When looking at various battery websites, I cannot find 4500 mah cells in any form except "C" size cells. Is it necessary to have 4500 mah cells, or will cells with ~2300 mah suffice?

Thank you.

Adam

AdamHorsman:
Greetings. I would like to make a second battery pack for my canister light, but have a questions regarding MaH. Currently, my battery pack (Stealthdive.com light) has ten 4500mah cells. (they are a little larger than AA cells) When looking at various battery websites, I cannot find 4500 mah cells in any form except "C" size cells. Is it necessary to have 4500 mah cells, or will cells with ~2300 mah suffice?

Thank you.

Adam

Smaller capacity cells will of course yeild shorter run times, but that's not all you need consider.

I don't know what you are using for a charger, but it MIGHT not work correctly with a smaller capacity pack, depends on design.

Lastly the internal resistance of the smaller pack will result in a greater voltage drop for a given load. Your Light (the load) may or may not tolerate this.

Regards,

Tobin

Tobin,
Thank you for the prompt response, I have the Maha C777 universal charger. For what's it's worth - I have the Sartek 10watt HID head, with the Stealhdive canister.

Adam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom