Nikonos Extension tubes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SwimJim

Contributor
Reaction score
I recently aquired a set of extension tubes to use with my Nikonos II. I have an old Oceanic 2000 flash that works well and should be suitable for use with them. As I have never used extension tubes with an underwater rig, I was wondering if anybody would have any tips to share to shorten the learning curve. Thanks

Jim

SwimJim:
I recently aquired a set of extension tubes to use with my Nikonos II. I have an old Oceanic 2000 flash that works well and should be suitable for use with them. As I have never used extension tubes with an underwater rig, I was wondering if anybody would have any tips to share to shorten the learning curve. Thanks

Jim

point and shoot. put the Nikonos in automatic focus as near as you can and f22. Strobe in TTL and directly over your lens and camera. Get your subject in between the framer posts, remember depth of field is VERY shallow. Thats it.

Thanks. I remember using tubes on land with my Minoltas that the depth of field was paper thin. Maybe I'll try tieing off a piece of bacon between the posts to entice small fish in. Ha. Thanks again.

Jim

SwimJim:
Thanks. I remember using tubes on land with my Minoltas that the depth of field was paper thin. Maybe I'll try tieing off a piece of bacon between the posts to entice small fish in. Ha. Thanks again.

Jim

one way to do it I have used a fish paste on one of the posts or on the bottom cross post, also used a underwater laser sometimes fish will think its food and come after the dot.

cdiver2, what is automatic focus?

SwimJim:

Jim
I set the focus at infinity, the aperature at f16 (100-speed film) and put my flash right above the camera (as close as I can get to the camera) and point it at the frame. With the Oceanic, you might want to set the camera to f22 (it's brighter than my flash). Fortunately, up here in B.C., there are lots of little fish that will sit still when a framer is around their head. Pics below with this set-up (Nikonos 3, home-made strobe).

s****enstein:
I set the focus at infinity, the aperature at f16 (100-speed film) and put my flash right above the camera (as close as I can get to the camera) and point it at the frame. With the Oceanic, you might want to set the camera to f22 (it's brighter than my flash). Fortunately, up here in B.C., there are lots of little fish that will sit still when a framer is around their head. Pics below with this set-up (Nikonos 3, home-made strobe).

In macro with extension tubes the focus is set to the minimum focus distance not infinity. F22 or F16 with the 2:1 tube.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom