Nikonos Extension tubes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cdiver2:
In macro with extension tubes the focus is set to the minimum focus distance not infinity. F22 or F16 with the 2:1 tube.
I've tried both and couldn't really tell the difference. I could be wrong, but I think that technically, a lens set at infinity is sharper than the same lens set at it's minimum focusing distance. My main reason for setting the lens at infinity is to be able to put the framer just in front of the subject and not around it (which may cause the subject to take off). Again, I've tried both settings and couldn't tell the difference focus-wise so my reasoning is probably more of a placebo.

Thanks for the input guys. Its really apprieciated. As soon as my dry suit comes back I'll go jump in Lake Michigan and give it a try.

Jim

s****enstein:
I've tried both and couldn't really tell the difference. I could be wrong, but I think that technically, a lens set at infinity is sharper than the same lens set at it's minimum focusing distance. My main reason for setting the lens at infinity is to be able to put the framer just in front of the subject and not around it (which may cause the subject to take off). Again, I've tried both settings and couldn't tell the difference focus-wise so my reasoning is probably more of a placebo.

Sounds plausable, I will have to ask about that one. I'm working from the Jim Church book on the Nikonos system. It doe's say to use infinity with the close up lens (that fits over the 28, 35 and 80mm lens)

Jim, there are 5 different manufacturers of Nikonos extension tubes that I know of. The setting of the lens (close vs infinity) varies, so I would strongly reccomend getting the owner's manual. Also, there are other differences; for example, the Helix tubes use a slightly different o-ring than the standard Nikonos o-ring.

Unless I am remembering something incorrectly, the Oceanic strobe is a pure manual strobe. For that matter, so is the Nikonos II. So I would document the daylights out of your photos, and keep the strobe position the same from dive to dive, until you get a good handle on the exposures.

Also, be aware the macro tubes change the exposure. Longer tubes can cut exposure by two stops, and the shorter ones by 1/2 to 1 1/2 stops. Another reason to locate the owner's manual.

I would suggest the bathtub as a good place to work out some basic issues like focus, framing and baseline exposure (use a dark colored tub!), without "wasting" a dive.

All the best, James

Thanks James. Yes I'm working with all manual. As I'm becoming somewhat of a museum piece myself thats not terribly unusual for me. I got into photography back in the '70s and the first camera I used was a Leica IIIF. A great camera and about as manual as the the Nikonos II. I'll see if I can scare up a manual for these tubes. Information is a good thing. The bathtub idea makes sense. I have a choice of any color I want as long as its white. Ha. I'll just lay something black in there. That would be the best choice in color for a project such as this. I can hear my better half grumbeling already.Ha. Thanks again for your input.

Jim

Here's my take on all of this:

First, let's get our nomenclature straight. Most extension tubes are 1:3, 1:2, or 1:1. The second number refers to the size on the image on the film as it relates to the actual size of the subject. For example, a photo taken with a 1:2 tube will produce an image on the film that is 1/2 the actual life size of the subject. Another way to think of it is that a 1:3 will frame a subject about 3 inches high, a 1:2 about 2 inches high, etc. To produce a 2:1 image (twice life size on the film), you must stack tubes.

I recommend to Jim that you upgrade to at least a Nik III. If you continue to use the II, make sure that your processing lab does not cut your film. The Nik II does not frame evenly (especially if you don't cock the shutter perfectly each time), and the lab is very likely to cut your images to pieces if they cut your film. You can get a Nik III on Ebay in the $200-300 range. Great camera and you can use any of the modern strobes.

Check out Jim Church's "secret exposure tables" for using extension tubes with manual rigs in his excellent book Essential Guide to Nikonos Systems. Jim allowed me to reproduce the tables in the appendix of my book, The Certified Diver's Handbook (no plug intended, but it's the only other place I know to get the tables).

Extension tubes corrupt the f-stop setting on your lens. An f-stop is simply the result of dividing the diameter of the aperture into the focal length of the lens, which is the distance of the focal center of the lens when focused at infinity from the film plane (which is why f8 on one lens will allow exactly the same amount of light to reach the film plane as f8 on any other lens assuming the same shutter speed and/or strobe light). Since the tube moves the focal center of the lens away from the film plane, a setting of f22 on the lens is actually more like f45 with a 1:2 tube.

Lens focus has very little effect on tubes. I always focus my lens at infinity with a tube. This alleviates a possible mistake when I switch to the close-up kit, which requires focus at infinity. I focus my lens at infinity on a tube even though the manufacturer recommends focusing as close as possible. The images are fine, and I feel that the infinity focus allows me to frame without touching anything. However, it's a fine distinction because, as I said, lens focus has very little effect.

Be very careful with your buoyancy when using a tube and framer. Not only must you be careful not to damage the reef, but the framer is a lever that can easily break the seal between the tube and the camera, resulting in a flood.

All framers are pretty much the same, at least lengthwise. I like the Sea & Sea framers because they're solid plastic and won't bend (a bent framer is ruined). Also, the S&S framers have threaded vertical posts that are easily removed. Many framer shooters cut at least one vertical post, sometimes both, to avoid shadows if the strobe is not perfectly centered or to make the rig small enough to get into small places. -Clay

Back
Top Bottom