Niihau Season is here and it's awesome already

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i'm sure its wonderful, but this is really an advert, so probably the wrong place to post it ahuiho :)

Sorry, I asked AquamanKauai for his operator affiliation. He was simply replying to my request, no advertisement here.

Good diving, Craig

Arriving in Kauai, Poipu area, June 15th. Recently PADI certified. Recommendations on dive shop and skill appropriate dives?

Thanks in advance.

in reguards to Niihua, I have been diving at Niihua for 15 + years, and the company that takes you there is really less important then the exsperience of the captain and quides.What makes Niihua stand out is the sometimes unlimted visabilty,due to no run off on the very dry island.The currents that sweep through although 8 knots or greater
make great drift dives for those exsperienced enough.The best diving there is at Lhu'a rock a cindercone that has a very deep wall on the westside known as "vertical awarness" but personally the drop is over rated, not alot of things on the wall itself,but more going north from the wall. Out off the 100 or so dives at lehu'a the most thrilling dives have been either at"Key Hole" known for a sheer wall drop and it's reputation as a shark nursery. , the other is a pinacle off vertical awareness about 100 yards out from the wall. The blue jacks that are talked about above are some of the smallest of the jack family in Hawaii, the Silver and Black jacks reach sizes wellover a 100 lbs while the blue Amileu tops out around 25. The visablity is what is the attraction
HOWEVER!!! I have seen Species of mammals, fish that are naturally not in Hawaiian waters there, Like White side doplhins(Thahiti),Great Whites(worldwide) Killer Whales and false Killer whales(Alaska) Giant Sunfish, amoung others.
Manta Rays and whale sharks are found in Hawaiin waters all year long and reside in larger numbers in the southern islands(Big Island of Hawaii)

In response to longashes...

Two full service PADI dive shops will be very close to you. Fathom Five is in the heart of Koloa and Sea Sport Divers is just a short drive down the road. Both go out of the same harbor which is also just minutes away. Sheraton Caverns is a must see if you are going to enjoy some boat diving. The site is loaded with green sea turtles and is highlighted by the lava archways you swim through. It's also a great spot for leaf scorpion fish, octopus, numerous endemic fish, and much more. The dive is essentially in the 45-65 range depth wise. Turtles Bluffs is another great dive if you are interested in seeing our beautiful whitetip reef sharks. If you feel like getting started by diving from the shore for a tank or two Koloa also has an incredible shore diving spot that amazes me with it's abundant creatures. "Koloa Landing" is an old boat launch that is used as the primary shore dive on the island for training and tours alike. Turtles, octopus, green lionfish, harlequin shrimp, frogfish, devil scorpionfish, and on and on. It is an easy spot to dive and you are not likely to exceed 45 feet.

Try to book in advance to ensure that you have a spot. If I can personally help you with any other questions (diving or otherwise) just send me a message.

Congrats on your new certification - I think you'll love your diving experience here on the island!
A

Back
Top Bottom