Ni'ihau is it worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rgee9

Reaction score
Hello there,

My wife and I just booked trips to dive in Kauai, and we have one day of diving off Ni'ihau. My question is this trip worth the extra $125. We think it is right now, but I was wondering if anyone has any feedback on diving there.

Thanks,
Rob Gee

yes. there is a great guy in the Hawaii ohana. I will search him and try to link you. it would be a great "pristine" dive. There are other sources but see if you can find Mike Severn's book on diving Hawaii. Very accurate descriptions by a man who has done every dive he writes about.

Where do they dive off Niihau? Sometimes the Niihauans would shoot at boats that got too close to their island, so I guess this stopped or they ran out of ammunition.Lehua Rock on the north point is the closest point of approach - it's a lot like Molokini off Maui. Great fishing runs through there. You're going to have a good run from Kauai to get there.
Too bad it's not Kaula Rock they're running you to - there's a sunken pinnacle that sits about 80' deep near it. You're not remotely near the top of the food chain there.

yes its worth it ive been their three times and id go back any day any time.
its no fun if your likely to get sea sick. im not....... but on the way back many do.
even then the dive is still worth it

It's worth it. I have only snorkeled it but it was great. And there is little to no runoff over there so it's nice and clear. I think out there or at Mana Crack is the only place in the main islands to see Chevron Butterflyfish. Good chance of big stuff, monk seals, lots of less common fish.

It's expensive partly because it's a long run. I'm sure you've heard that it's a long rough ride. It REALLY is, especially coming back when the wind has picked up. If you ever get sea sick, take something for sure. The vast majority of non-medicated people on our boat were feeding fish for a couple hours the whole way back :wink:

It's a great adventure going over to Ni'ihau. You'll have a blast. I wouldn't miss diving it if I went back to Kauai.

Thanks for everyone's response. This is what we were looking for and we are glad we booked it. As for the rough ride we will keep that in mind, but the trip sounds very familar to the ride from Ambergris Caye to the Blue Hole.

Thanks for everything and if there is more info please let me know.

Rob

Aloha Rob,

Not sure if we've traded messages before and if I am duplicating I apologize. Lots of personal emails coming to me the last month and several here on the Scubaboard re:Niihau. I am a DM here for one of the local dive shops and CANT WAIT to start our tours over at Niihau/Lehua next month. Niihau is AWESOME. It is however an advanced trip and special considerations are appropriate. The best dives are sometimes a little deeper - and some of the better dives are drifts. IT IS CRITICAL for that reason that you have your weighting figured out before arrival at Niihau - which is why most companies suggest a local dive first. I "believe" that one of the other companies only does stationary dives due to the large amount of divers on the trip 16-20. Divers going on that charter can expect to have lines for their "ups and downs" as they will be stationary dives no matter what the current is doing. Any boat larger than a 6 pax is required to have a "bubble watcher" for safety if drifts are being done. Anyway, I do see people spend their first dive over there struggling to descend (or even unable to descend on the drifts) or popping to the surface without a safety stop. It's such amazing diving (and a once in a lifetime for most) so I hate to see someone go through that when it can be avoided. Be well rested for it - you'll be happy you were. It's a long day of amazing diving. Chances are you will see large schooling jacks, Endemic Lionfish(red), Monk Seals (Most endangered marine mammal in North America - yes moreso than the Manatee), whitetips and grey reef sharks, rare spotted knifejaws, rays of one species or another, schooling butterflys, and you may have a chance to snorkel with our Hawaiian spinner dolphins! Sounds pretty great? IT IS!

More info can be found through FATHOMFIVE.COM - 1-800-972

Sorry Rob,

Laker game got started and I got excited! I looked back and saw that we had spoken a couple weeks ago. Sorry, it must be the nitrogen that's making me forget!!! Hope I didnt repeat to much info. If I can offer any additional help let me know. I'm a bit biased - CANT HELP IT - but I was glad to see these other responses. Do you need any other island info? Happy to give you any suggestions on non dive stuff as well.

Best of island wishes as always

Aquaman,

We have talked via PM's and I appreciate your info. I've actually booked these dives with Fathom Five and requested you as a DM. We actually fly in Friday and have a helicopter tour on Saturday morning. WOuld your recommend a Saturday afternoon dive before our trip on Sunday to Niihau.

Thanks,
Rob Gee

AquamanKauai:
Monk Seals (Most endangered marine mammal in North America - yes moreso than the Manatee)

A couple questions...(in all honesty...I'm not trying to be obnoxious)

Is Hawaii considered part of North America? Seems like it would be its own thing.

Isn't the Hawaiian Monk Seal the most endangered marine mammal in the world? Or maybe I'm misinformed on that one. If there are more endangered marine mammals, does anyone know what they are?

Either way, I sure hope to have the privilege to see one some day.

Gregg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom