Niihau Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seagal

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have been diving in Hawaii for years now however, I have never got the chance to dive Niihau! I was wondering if anyone had experience diving there, the conditions, what the diving compares to and how much better it is than diving maui, molokai and lanai?

Thank you!

I went out w/ seasport a few weeks ago to Niihau. Topography was amazing w/ Monk seals on every dive. It's a long day but well worth it.

I did it last October-wonderful diving. Monk seals, sharks, amazing topography. Long day but very worth it.

Can be very rough crossing to Niihau, but the dives are absolutely amazing. The best that HI has to offer.

On one website, they'd mentioned it was for "advanced" divers only. Anyone have some insight as to what exactly that means? Not just the certification level (we've got that more than covered), but rather what features of the dive make it "advanced". For example, we're very familiar with California shore diving, but haven't really experienced strong currents.

That is the most important question that never seems to be answered! Having led dives at Niihau for years I can at least offer some insight. I have taken many divers of all levels of experience and numbers of logged dives to Niihau and seen varying levels of success. Essentially what is required to be successful in my mind is this...

1. The ability to ascend and descend without a line. Sometimes they are available on the dives at Niihau and sometimes they are not. Many divers just haven't had the opportunity to practice this. On drifts it is obviously important to avoid descent struggles which can lead to group separation from the get go. At the end of these dives it is also obviously important to avoid blowing safety stops as the result of being underweighted.

2. Monitoring air closely and managing depth on walls where the bottom is sometimes well beyond the recreational diving limit.

3. Following a detailed dive plan and ensuring group integrity underwater.

As far as currents go...

Niihau has some enjoyable drift dives but generally they are done in mild to moderate currents. Drift diving sounds more difficult than it is - and many would agree that it is the easiest type of diving. The key - proper weighting.

Niihau is similiar to the back wall of Molokini in some ways in terms of depth and clarity. Molokai, Molokini, Lanai etc. all have special things to offer that are unique. Niihau is considered by some to be the best diving in Hawaii (though I prefer to not open that can of worms).

You are likely to dive with rays and sharks - and will dive with monk seals. Pretty cool to dive with one of the most endangered marine mammals in the world.

Getting back to the main question, I feel that it is easy to make anyone successful at Niihau. Sometimes it takes a prep day of local diving, but it can certainly be done. Shore diving in California presents challenges the probably equal the difficulty (if not exceed) what you will experiecne at Niihau in some ways.

Hope this helps and I apologize if this is to brief an answer. Feel free to send me a pm with any specific questions.

Have a great day!

that answered exactly what I wanted to know, thank you!! :) Once we get our budget for the trip sorted out, maybe we'll see you in about a month!

In my opinion it is a waste of money. You won't see anything you can't find diving Kauai with a good operator, other than the elusive Monk Seal (we saw one on a recent trip out of 3 dives). It is expensive and a real brutal ride coming back.

interesting... always good to hear a countering view. So you've done the dive then?

I have seen many images of diving Ni'ihau that are not something you will see diving off any other Island. One video I saw it looked like there were nearly a hundred spiney lobsters in one overhang area! I will spend the money gladly! :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom