Night Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you'd have gotten one compass heading during one of your day dives (pylon to pylon) you would be a hero on your night dive!!!

I was able to get a bearing while swimming on the surface. Still seemed to go way off course. Right at the end while returning I found that by holding the compass in sight all the time I could get from one pylon to the next on a few occasions.

The really annoying thing was that it is so easy during the day.

When I do night dives, especially on places that have reefs or rocks. At the beginning of the dive before getting in the water, I use my compass to get oriented to the direction I want to dive. Once underwater, I take a chemical light and tie it off to the starting point (mentally note where the starting point is). Then I follow the compass or underwater terrain to navigate around the dive site. When dive is over, I head towards the chemical light and then surface. Of course, take the chemical light with you, so that it does not sit under water and pollute the reef/rocks.

g1138, good to hear others have similar difficulties. This is a jetty so while relatively safe you tend to wander out into no mans land on either side. We dove on another jetty an few weeks back and had similar problems.

Hadn't thought of a tape measure. Can't see how you'd progress far with it though.

I think a 100m tape reel can get you far enough. :D
They look like reels on steroids. Pretty bulky and heavy though.

I think a 100m tape reel can get you far enough. :D
They look like reels on steroids. Pretty bulky and heavy though.

Okay, but what if I want to swim out three or four hundred metres? Maybe I'm being too ambitious. :idk:

When I do night dives, especially on places that have reefs or rocks. At the beginning of the dive before getting in the water, I use my compass to get oriented to the direction I want to dive. Once underwater, I take a chemical light and tie it off to the starting point (mentally note where the starting point is). Then I follow the compass or underwater terrain to navigate around the dive site. When dive is over, I head towards the chemical light and then surface. Of course, take the chemical light with you, so that it does not sit under water and pollute the reef/rocks.

A light at the start of the dive would be a good idea. I usually go by the car park lights or jetty lights.

Okay, but what if I want to swim out three or four hundred metres? Maybe I'm being too ambitious. :idk:

That's quite a swim.
I guess you could.....bring 4x 100m tapes and double enders? :idk:
*kidding*

I don't even know if they make diving reels that big. :confused:

Maybe you could buy cookie markers and push then into the sand next to each pylon as you swim.
Make like Hansel and Gretel. :D

Yes, likely so.

You've gotten the right advise so far. You might "not be learning" by reeling out a line (of any kind), but if it truly that bad, what could it hurt?

That thing about not being able to find the next pier 10 meters out? Hand your buddy a 10 meter line, spread out and swim towards the target.... if you don't find it, take up knitting instead.

The need for covering large distances while diving has always eluded me. There is so much to see within confined areas, only if you slow down and take your time.

A different environment, sure, but under the town pier at St Croix, I watched divers swim waaaay out as far as they could and then come back... several dives. We never left (except once) the first 150' of the pier... all the cool stuf, everything we wanted to see... it was right there.

Flagging tape is useful. Easier to see than any knife mark. You can tie it to small sticks, rocks, or the pier itself. Put the knot towards a certain direction. Leave a trail of breadcrumbs, but clean up your mess.

If you'd have gotten one compass heading during one of your day dives (pylon to pylon) you would be a hero on your night dive!!!

And while you're at it, shoot the pier from walking on the top, in the light. Know what direction it's "supposed" to be pointing.

Since I posted this thread and doing more night diving I've found that my navigating is improving a great deal both at night and during the day. I did some testing and found that in general the compass is not being affected by the steel jetty pylons. I'm no expert, but here are some of the things I've discovered which may be of help to others with similar difficulties. Develop the skill in small managable steps. Trust your compass. A lot of the compass work I've found is based on intuition or judgement. That is why comments about using current direction and dune lines in the sand mentioned by others is helpful. Distances can be estimated by how long you travel in a certain direction. Coming back never seems to take as long, especially if you head against the current. Allowances for cross currents are tricky. Be careful in setting the direction of the lubber line, it can make the task a lot easier.

Which jetty? I'm curious as I grew up in Perth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom