Night diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveMaven

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We just got back from 2 weeks of diving in the Bahamas (on the Nekton Pilot) and did our first night dives there. The one thing that surprised me was the proliferation of blood worms in the water during the dive, and frankly it was gross.

Question: Are there blood worms in Hawaii...or other disgusting tiny critters that will gather around my light and ping off my face during a night dive??

I know, pathetic.... :shakehead

Just the krill which is what the mantas are feeding on. They kinda tickle. Other than that, not much.

Night Diving on Oahu is a blast and nothing creepy comes around. Try it, you'll love it.

I haven't had anything creepy... but sometimes the little fishes (small enough to be plankton, but when you look closer, you see they're fish) that swarm the dive light start nibbling on exposed fingers. Just one more reason to wear gloves. :)

when they gather around your light, move your light near a coral head. (Not pointing the light directly at the coral, but sideways.) Bye bye worms.

Thanks everyone, sounds like it isn't even close to as bad as the Bahamas for tiny night critters. We did feed the coral and a few other happy reef creatures with the Blood Worms, but they were too abundant to have that make a dent...it was just tiny revenge on a few.

Hi, I just got back from Belize and on our night dive we encountered the little red worms that the coral like to eat. My problem with it was that they were biting me. Anyone else?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom