Night Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

milktrayman

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
what are peoples recommendations for night lights etc? I am about to do a Night dive speciality and need to buy a couple of decent lights/ backup lights.

I’ve always liked the UK SL4 as a backup. I dive with a pair of Halcyon Scouts 99% of the time and have never had any problems (I’ve had one of them for five years)—the Scout is very simple and well designed, but quite pricey. I have yet to find a nice primary light that isn’t way out of my price range—I guess the UK (eLED) C4/C8 have served me well so far; of course I’d rather have a canister light.

My current backup light is a OMS 7 LED light, up until this year I used a UK eLED C-8 light which was OK it is more of a flood light, I would guess it illuminates an area 10 or 15 feet in front of you. I picked up a Dive-Rite HID and it is a world of difference very bright more of a spot light it illuminates at least 20 or 30 feet depending on water clarity, and is well worth the investment.

Mike

Started out with Princeton Tec shockwave with Surge for back up. Added a Mini Q40 on my mask strap and am now contemplating a cannister. Just not sure if I want to go HID or Halogen. Would like to find one with an LED lighthead. HID bulbs are expensive.

Buy 2 torches. Something like a scubapro blue light or pocket light, this will provide more than enough light when you are learning to night dive. Buy a second small torch, attach it to your bcd and put it in a pocket. That way when your main light fails, or you drop it, you will have a backup. P.s. always check that your backup is working when you enter the water, nothing worse than going for that faithfull backup only to find you left it switched on and the batteries are flat.

I have the UK eLed C8 and it's a great light. I love how the batteries last forever, and frankly, I don't relly feel like I need a big cannister light to go bleaching coral and cooking fishies with :wink: In any event, it's all the light I need for night or under-kelp diving.

That new Princeton Tec led light with the 3 led bulbs looks pretty good though. If I were buying now, I'd probably grab that one.

My backup is one of the smaller Princeton Tec lights. Also I have a tank beacon (led also). Poke around scubatoys lights section for a look at some of the less expensive (non-cannister) options.

Milktrayman, did you receive the private message I sent you a couple of weeks ago? Your email address isn't listed in your profile (that I can find anyway) or I would have sent to you there. My email is kent@momeds.com. I have a question about your training experience.

Thanks!

milktrayman:
what are peoples recommendations for night lights etc? I am about to do a Night dive speciality and need to buy a couple of decent lights/ backup lights.
I almost dropped $$$ for the UK HID, however I decided to pick up a Princeton Tec ShockwaveLED a few months ago (Triple LED - not Shockwave-II), I found it's the brightest handheld under $200 I have found that can stand next to UK HID (Not as bright but still impressively close - several buddies have UK HIDs & we have done side by sides U/W) The ShockwaveLED is about 1/2 the price.

Check out http://www.divesports.com/mall/princetec_lts_shockwaveLED.asp they have a quick Amateur Light Comparison on that page - I found it is quite bright & beats my UK C8, I was hesitant to pay the $99 for an LED light ...afterall how bright can an LED be?? - but after I used it - I think it was well worth the $$ and glad I didn't spend extra $$$ for the UK HID.

We're happy with Princeton Tec Shockwave LEDs and Tec 4000 back-ups.

Pete

The SL series are good lights. I started with a pistol grip light, but found it to be too big and bulky. The UK Light Canon puts out some decent light and can be converted to a different handle. Still kind of bulky, though, and only about an hour burn time on the batteries. The SL6 gives more burn time and is much more streamlined and easier to handle. Of course, now that I have a can light, the SL6 is my primary back up and the SL4 is my secondary backup. The SLs are easy to clip out of the way.

Whatever you buy, check out the on/off switch. I had an Ikelite PCm that flooded because the "unique" switch wouldn't stay clamped shut.

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
I have the UK eLed C8 and it's a great light. I love how the batteries last forever, and frankly, I don't relly feel like I need a big cannister light to go bleaching coral and cooking fishies with :wink: ...

Less time on the grill on the boat if you start cooking them on the dive. :D

Back
Top Bottom