Night diving & lights on Oahu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oregondiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Looks like I can only afford 2 days of boat diving, and then some shore diving with random buddies for my trip.

I packed my little oxycheq raider light for those dives.

However...should I make sure I do a night dive? I love night diving in the pacific northwest...but didn't know if it was something I should do on Oahu.

Question 1: Your thoughts, should I try to get in a night dive or just enjoy day diving?

Question 2: If I should go for a night dive, should I bring my 21W can light or just use the Oxycheq?

Question 3: If I should go for a night dive....is there anything substantially different between boat dive or shore dive to make the night dive more memorable other than the fact that a boat dive might include wrecks?

I have only found 1 vendor who is doing a night dive and that is about 2 hours after I land on Saturday and one on Friday next week. I haven't seen any other vendors with a night dive schedule....would I just call around because it may not be on their website?

Thanks everyone! Trying to wind down with my questions and just focus on getting my arse over there and starting relaxation and hydration therapy!

1- The day diving and night diving are comparable, but with only 2 days of diving, I'd do what fits into your schedule. If you do day dives, you can leave the lights at home, saving space. Oahu doesn't offer any Manta Ray or Blackwater dives, so the night diving would be reef/wreck diving, which means aside from a few nocturnal critters, you'll see a lot of the same.

In two days of diving, you can do 6, maybe 8 dives if you're working at it. You could easily see something new every dive in 8 during the day.

2-This is a personal choice. I have used a D8 and I've used little pocket lights, and both seem to work fine.

3-I'd say the best spot for a visitor to do a night dive from shore would be Shark's Cove. The rest of Oahu's shore dives tend to be on the advanced end of the spectrum. If you can grab a local, Portlock is a lot of fun at night, too. The boat night diving I've done has been in spots that the charters don't go.

Shell,

2: Don't bother with your 21W can light. I took mine on a night dive recently and it drown everything else out. I only use mine here when I'm diving with other folks with can lights to communicate. It'll blow everyone else out of the water and tends to scare fish. Save the bag weight and leave it at home.

Your raider will probably be fine. I've been rocking my LED backup light (intova) of late and it does fine. Maybe bring both your backup lights and dual fist it. Worst case is that you go rent a pistol grip C8 or something and keep with if you need it.

1: You see all sorts of things night diving that you don't during the day. If you can swing it I highly suggest a night dive on a reef if you can... rather than a wreck. But it schedule doesn't allow I wouldn't sweat it.

-Eric

Perfect. Thanks folks.
Taking the oxycheq which I gave to my husband when he started diving. He is now diving this weekend near Seattle...with my can light! YIKES! I hope he doesn't announce a new purchase when I get back!

I will try to find some buddies for a night shore dive. I am diving Sharks cove Monday afternoon...wonder if I can get that changed to a night dive? Hmm....

. He is now diving this weekend near Seattle...with my can light! YIKES! I hope he doesn't announce a new purchase when I get back!

Funny... that's how I ended up buying my salvo... Lynne let me borrow hers and apologized to me as she handed it over. I thought she was kidding... but she wasn't.

-Eric

I do a lot of night diving. I plan on doing one at Sharks Cove soon since the North shore has opened up.
Hanauma bay is cool for night diving as well, but only open on the 2nd and 4th saturdays at night.
Love diving Portlock and lanai lookout at night. different kinds of fish and some other creatures at night. definately warmer then portland! (my dad lives there, I grew up in eugene).

I carry Intova narrow and wide beam lights for night diving and they are pleanty for me.

Yup, Grew up in Eugene. Graduated from North Eugene High. Miss going skiing at Willamette Pass! But I LOVE IT HERE!

I used to go to all the Duck games when I was growing up.

You're telling me. She is singlehandedly the ONLY reason I now have a can light!!!
We had a womens only dive...she offered to bring lights for folks to use. 3 days later I finally wore my husband down and he said I could have one as long as it counted for my birthday, christmas, new years, easter, mothersday, valentines day present!...

Funny... that's how I ended up buying my salvo... Lynne let me borrow hers and apologized to me as she handed it over. I thought she was kidding... but she wasn't.

-Eric

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom