Night Diving in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alexandra1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My husband and I are going to coz the end of May. He doesn't think there is much to look at on a night dive except sand. Since I have only been on my AOW qualifying night dive I don't have much of an opinion, but from reading some of the posts it seems like night diving in coz would be at the least interesting. We are planning on using Aldora and I would appreciate any feedback on ND/Aldora anyone can offer.

Alexandra:
My husband and I are going to coz the end of May. He doesn't think there is much to look at on a night dive except sand. Since I have only been on my AOW qualifying night dive I don't have much of an opinion, but from reading some of the posts it seems like night diving in coz would be at the least interesting. We are planning on using Aldora and I would appreciate any feedback on ND/Aldora anyone can offer.

The night diving is great. Go for it.

Gary D.

Night dive means you get to see life that you don't normally see during the day. Last month on a night dive in Coz we saw good sized crabs everywhere, lobsters, several octopii out on the move, cleaner shrimp and an eel, to name some of the highlights.
As well, the water is still warm, and because night dives tend to be shallower you get a nice long bottom time.

Just watch out for the photographers. Four of the six divers on that dive had a darn camera. Strobes, elbows and kicking fins everywhere.

If you haven't made many night dives you might want to start out with a shore dive. Go to the La Ceiba hotel (El Cid) and there is a dive shop right on the dock where you can rent tanks. This is where "the Plane" is/used to be. It's a great shore dive day or night. Entry/exit is very easy, navigation is simple. There is a patch reef right in front of the hotel in 20-30'. You will typically see Octopus, maybe a few squid, sleeping Parrotfish, eels, crabs, and lobsters.
If your diving with Aldora see if you can get on Bill "memo" LaRosa's boat, tell him I said to take good care of you. Chankanab, El Cedral, and Paradise are all great night dives for a boat-I prefer Paradise-it's a short ride, 30-40' deep so plenty of bottom time and if Bill's with you you'll see plenty. Splendid toadfish, puffer's, etc. etc. etc.- I NEVER miss a night dive. If you have any questions feel free to PM me

night dive in coz in April was great and would recomend to anyone everyone else covered about all you need to know dont miss it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My wife and I have been to Cozumel 9 times in the past 2 1/2 years and will be making another trip the first of June.

I really enjoy taking pictures and during a week's worth of diving will take about 600. The delete button on my laptop does get a workout.

If I had my option I would make nothing but night dives. The water is so clear in Cozumel that the colors are often washed or faded by the sunlight. At night with a good dive light the colors are quite vivid.

Also you will see things at night that you will never see in the daytime. Lots of crabs, lobsters, eels, and an occasional nurse shark that's sleeping plus you can get up on lots of fish that will run from you during the daylight hours. The light actually blinds what you're looking at so it's easy to get close.

We have used Aldora on two previous trips and they are an excellent operation. I can also highly recommend Living Underwater. Both have small groups and use 120 cu. ft. tanks.

Enjoy your trip.

Alexandra:

I love to dive at night. Everything seems more fun at night. Every rock you find is a bit more interesting at night. I dive at night whenever I can.

There is NOTHING like a night dive, especially in Cozumel. Wait until you see a sea cucumber in all its feeding glory, and the bioluminescence is absolutely out of this world. Never mind the sea life that you see at night that's not there during the day! We're heading back in June, and I'm planning on doing every night dive possible!

I did a couple of night dives in Coz this past March...it was very cool. It's like night and day ....sorry for the bad joke.!

I really enjoy night diving...always nice to see how life is underwater at night.

I did one dive outside the Barracuda were we stayed...the other was with Dive Paradise.

And a bonus.....when you surface ....and look up at the beautiful night sky...all the stars. In Chicago...the sky never looks that beautiful...too many lights.

All i can say is DO It!

wow... yeah... just do it once, you'll be hooked.

night diving is a world unto its own... it's amazing... definetely something to try!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom