Night diving and light discipline

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great thread! I recently had a full moon night dive with a guy who dove with a very powerful video light that I swear you could do surgery with! My buddy and I often covered our lights and dove from his ambient light. We were momentarily blinded a couple of times due to that diver's lack of light :p. My favorite night dive was in the Red Sea, carrying my primary and backup dive lights, but never turning them on. It was a full moon, shallow, 85 minute dive that was fully illuminated by the moon. Magical.

.... My buddy and I often covered our lights ........ night dive... carrying my primary and backup dive lights, but never turning them on.

Diving with no lights at all is often quite rewarding.

Caveat: Always do what you reference- have a small light always turned on with your hand covering it. It's a fail safe mechanism that makes SAR much easier.

I've coined a phrase for this sort of activity. "light pollution"
It is so frustrating doing night dives with "polluters" that I refuse to dive with groups bigger than 4 divers.
The last dive i did with a big group was on a full moon night with vis to 70 feet. still the torches were going every which way.
I spent the whole dive with my torch turned off clearly able to see everybody-except when a torch got shone into my eyes.

My only memorable night dive was one in the caymans where the moon was so bright I dove without my light on the water was so clear and when my eyes adjusted it was great saw fish that would have been scared of my light.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom