Night Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cancun mark:
THEY GO ON YOUR FIRST NIGHT DIVE WITH YOU!!!!!!!!

Truly, the scariest part is being on the surface at the beginning of the dive, that is why so many people are telling you to do a twighlight shallow easy shore dive for your first one if possible.

The other scariest part of the 1st night dive is when you surface a 10 min swim from the boat because those navigation skills went right out the window.... The quiet of night, the moon, the black water, and a little itty-bitty light indicating the boat in the distance was not the most comfortable of feelings. :wink: Last time I let the mind wander at night!

Seriously, as many others have said:
1. Don't do it if you're not ready.
2. Start with a twilight dive at a FAMILIAR dive site.
3. Take a couple lights, not just one.
4. Review night dive signaling with your buddy before the dive.
5. Count the number of times you look over your shoulder for the monsters that cancun mark is referring to. :wink:

Jim

I bet he has been diving since before they started issuing certifications.

I don't want to raise an issue where there may not be one. But in todays sue happy world, how is he getting his air fills? What if any liability case could the heirs make against the dive buddy of a person who is diving with no certification, and the dive buddy knows it, and perhaps even bought his air for him? I don't know the answeres or if this is even an issue but you might want to think about it.

Now about night diving. It is different from diving in the day and there are some concerns to address. You will need navigation skills to find land or boat in the dark. You can't see the waves to the exit is a little tougher. You can't find up by the light on the surface. And last but not least, you have a restricted field of view and things do go bump in the night. Take a night diveing course from an instructor. My first several night dives were twilight dives. Great way to start, swim out in the light and watch the sun set through the fish and kelp.

EVEYPR7:
Hi, i've made around 20 dives since I was certified. My dive buddy wants me to make a night dive, but I don't feel good about this, I really don't like the dark in the surface, so i can imagen how dark it is in the deep. What can I do to overcome this fear of night diving? Your suggestions will be greatful, cuase he says at nite it's better. :dazzler1:

I did a night dive specialty which culminated in me planning the dive, giving the briefing and then leading a 40 minute dive WITH NO LIGHTS and using only natural navigation. After I found my way back to the exact point of departure (to my absolute amazement) right on time, I've been comfortable doing night dives ever since. And did I mention that they're my favorite types of dives now? The best for seeing unusual critters and awesome for photography. Consider doing a specialty course, it will give you the tools to feel comfortable about doing a dive in not only dark conditions, but in poor vis.

Good luck to you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom