Night Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i tried my first night dive last week, in dahab.

i was very curious about it and the thought about not doing it never crossed my mind. if i started thinking about it i might not do it.
i dove with a divemaster and a dutch family. they had two kids (12 and 14 years old) and, as mentioned, when darkness was falling we were off...

it was a shore dive and the vis was not that great. we had a lot of sand floating around. we didn't get to see a lot of fish. one scorpion fish lying on the sand was the big highlight of the whole dive.

you DO see a lot even at night. we had six lights amongst ourselves and that provided a lot of light but sometimes i glanced to where the lights weren't pointed at and could still see much more than i had expected. as soon as your eyes get used to it you're able to see some things.

i didn't get anxious (i didn't have time).... i guess the "i'm doing something tottaly new" feeling took over and, sooner than expected, we were heading back to the beach.

also i was a little lost as far as orientation goes. i kept moving too close to the DM (we were buddies for this dive) and even bumped into him. i just seemed i couldn't tell which way we were going and how deep we were as easily as during the day. i kept trying to see the reef wall so i wouldn't crash into it and this made move a little sideways without noticing it...

but, in the end, i now want to do some more night dives, maybe on a boat, and will try to get this into my AOW as someone also pointed out. i just have to talk to my wife about this... she decided not to try this night dive...

I have to agree about not letting peer pressure influence your decision. I just finished my SSI night diver specialty course because I wanted to night dive but I'm somewhat cautious. I wanted to learn and be comfortable with who I was diving with. Our instructor did a very nice job at keeping myself and the other student feeling good about what we were doing and making sure we were doing the right thing. I'm very glad I took the course. It was worth it to me. Night diving is a blast! Good luck.

EVEYPR7 I'm not a diver, but I'd just like to say that Gary D. offers you an excellent advice. Your friend is not the one that will decide when you should night dive, you are. If you don't feel confident doing it, then don't push it, give it time until you gain more experience and feel more comfortable in the water.

I must agree with the masses don't dive if you are not comfortable. Your buddy may feel you are ready but if you are nervous it can change the whole experience and you may walk away feeling that this is not for me whereas if you do your 1st dive with proper training and feeling good about your skills chances are you will enjoy the dive better and will be a-lot less likely to run into any problems.
I would be especally cautious considering your buddy has no cert for night diving, so going for training would be my bet.
BUT if you do go I would make sure you have a GOOD light and a GOOD backup light. I would also make sure that you take someone with you (on the boat or on shore)that won't be diving and let people know your plans (just in case it is better safe than sorry!)
Either way Be safe & have fun
WAC :crafty:

I had made over 100 catalina dives, before my 1st night dive. Someone earlier had suggested going down as it got dark....it helped me as well. I also recommednd an area with little or no surface kelp, to reduce the chance of dealing with something while youre nerves are steading. After your 1st.....with a good light and atleast one backup....you'll relax and probably be hooked as I was.

EVEYPR7:
Hi, i've made around 20 dives since I was certified. My dive buddy wants me to make a night dive, but I don't feel good about this, I really don't like the dark in the surface, so i can imagen how dark it is in the deep. What can I do to overcome this fear of night diving? Your suggestions will be greatful, cuase he says at nite it's better. :dazzler1:

I do not recommed you night or limited visibilty (less than 1 meter) dives until you complete advanced diving course with this diving speciality. You will learn almost all you must know theoreticaly, and dive at lest one night dive under supervision of an qualified instructor. Your buddy is right - night dives are beautiful experiance but you MUST feel safe and confident as during daylight.

Dr. Drazen Stojanovic, diving physitian and SSI Divecon

Remember when you were a kid and you were afraid of the monster under the bed, or the boogieman in the cupboard at the end of the hall. Have you ever wondered where they go when you grow up???

THEY GO ON YOUR FIRST NIGHT DIVE WITH YOU!!!!!!!!

Truly, the scariest part is being on the surface at the beginning of the dive, that is why so many people are telling you to do a twighlight shallow easy shore dive for your first one if possible.

95% of people come up from their first night dive saying it is even better than day time diving.

(the other 5% get eaten by the monsters I think)

cancun mark:
Remember when you were a kid and you were afraid of the monster under the bed, or the boogieman in the cupboard at the end of the hall. Have you ever wondered where they go when you grow up???

THEY GO ON YOUR FIRST NIGHT DIVE WITH YOU!!!!!!!!

Truly, the scariest part is being on the surface at the beginning of the dive, that is why so many people are telling you to do a twighlight shallow easy shore dive for your first one if possible.

95% of people come up from their first night dive saying it is even better than day time diving.

(the other 5% get eaten by the monsters I think)

Ha ha ha! Watch out for the monsters for sure.

I also find night dives more relaxing than day dives. There is an unbelievable serenity in diving at night. Everything feels slower and more relaxed believe it or not. All you can see is what is in front of your lights. We often cover our lights to enjoy the total and utter darkness. With strong bioluminescence it is really something.

I would suggest you do your first dive as part of AOW or with an experienced buddy at an easy shore dive site. A boring shallow shore site during the day can be amazing at night.

--Matt

I agree with Matt on night diving being more relaxing - I can get at least 15 more minutes down under on an tank at night

Perhaps a night snorkel with lights first and step up to the dive.

I am usually more aprehensive about a night dive, myself. I would suggest diving the site in daylight at least once before, good buddy work and bring two lights (primary and backup). I did my first ocean night dive recently and absolutely loved it. Happy trails!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom