Night Dive Personal Strobe/Marker Light Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow! I guess in that setting it makes sense. Have done a lot of night dives, never seen a situation like that.

Bonaire: you'll run into at least one other group of divers any night.

Bonaire: you'll run into at least one other group of divers any night.

Have done many, many night dives in Bonaire. The only one time I ever saw another diver was at our hotel's house reef. Never dove it again after that.

Have done many, many night dives in Bonaire. The only one time I ever saw another diver was at our hotel's house reef. Never dove it again after that.

House reef: check. We didn't get to dive city pier, it's off-limits now due to traffic, but apparently that used to be like a community pool on hot weekend. Our shop had a Saturday night boat trip to salt pier instead but that was too close to our flight back. :( -- I expect you'll likely have multiple groups there now, too.

House reef: check. We didn't get to dive city pier, it's off-limits now due to traffic, but apparently that used to be like a community pool on hot weekend. Our shop had a Saturday night boat trip to salt pier instead but that was too close to our flight back. :( -- I expect you'll likely have multiple groups there now, too.

Town pier, yes. Buddy and I were the only two at Salt Pier the night we did it in December.

Blinky strobe for entrance/exit location or mooring line locator. Tank marker light for personal locator. You can get tinted covers to distinguish your buddy/group if things get crowded. easy peasy

Didn't realize this would prompt such a lively discussion. Thanks for the good words, folks.

I agree that strobes are not a good idea. I also believe that tank lights are kinda stupid if you have a primary and at least one working back up light. I've never gone to the wrong group on Bonaire, in the Keys or anywhere else. I must admit that I often 'forget' to turn my light on. If you can't spot my 21W HID on the reef, you're simply not paying attention. :D :D :D

I agree that strobes are not a good idea. I also believe that tank lights are kinda stupid if you have a primary and at least one working back up light. I've never gone to the wrong group on Bonaire, in the Keys or anywhere else. I must admit that I often 'forget' to turn my light on. If you can't spot my 21W HID on the reef, you're simply not paying attention. :D :D :D

Just because you forget to turn your tank light on does not mean they're stupid. I find they help to identify my buddy.

Best place for a strobe light on a night dive is tied about four feet above the bottom on the upline ... assuming you're boat diving. It's better than a continuous light for showing up in murky water, and you'll be better able to find your way back to the upline at the end of the dive.

I'm not a big fan of tank lights. They're generally more of a distraction than a help. But if you're going to use them, use the battery operated ones and fix them to your tank neck. I'm completely against cyalume lights for the reasons already stated ... they're really bad for the environment, and I've seen way too many of them disposed of in the water.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom