Night Dive Personal Strobe/Marker Light Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just because you forget to turn your tank light on does not mean they're stupid. I find they help to identify my buddy.
You missed the quotes. I don't forget on accident; I forget on purpose simply because I think they are stupid.

Many night divers splash with one, often questionable, light source. That's also stupid. If their light goes out, for whatever reason, we can't see them easily and the boat will have a hard time finding them if their stupidity also causes them to swim very far from the boat. This is probably why they have the stupid rule about having a lubber light. Two lights are a minimum and three is preferable. Don't count the lubber light on the back of the tank.

Here are a few other tips I wish divers would follow on a night dive:

• Don't shine your light in other diver's eyes. Night vision is hard to get back.
  • Don't shine your light directly on critters... at least not for very long. Blinding critters puts them at a disadvantage.
  • Don't turn your light off during the dive. If you must, simply cover it with your hand to block it.
  • Use standard light signals during a night dive. Circular motion means OK. Back and forth motion means you need attention. Illuminate your hand to make any other signs.
  • Watch your trim and buoyancy. OK, this is true on any day dive as well. :D
  • Do turn your light off as you get on the boat ladder. PLEASE, don't blind the crew with a careless light.

• Do turn your light off as you get on the boat ladder. PLEASE, don't blind the crew with a careless light.

Having crewed on a boat for years I'll agree with the spirit of this advice. However I'll add that the average diver - who is diving a handheld light that they don't have attached to anything - should leave the light on. This way when the average diver drops it... I'll be able to find it when I have to go down and retrieve it for them.

:D

I've been on different liveaboards that required the tank marker lights for night dives - divers who didn't bring their own (chem lights or battery operated ones such as shown below), are required to purchase chem lights. For that reason I purchased battery operated lights, can't stand the chem lights.

Princeton Tec Eco Flare

- Cheap
- Robust
- Doesn't blink (though there is a "flashing red" setting.)

EF_2_NY_600px__99831.1405422791.1280.1280.jpg

However I'll add that the average diver - who is diving a handheld light that they don't have attached to anything - should leave the light on.
Or maybe, just maybe, they should progress to being an 'above average diver' and fasten a clip and/or bungee to their light. Everything you bring into the ocean should be clipped to your kit and especially so at night. I know that this is a radical concept, but it might make your diving more enjoyable and somewhat less expensive in the long run. :D :D :D

Or maybe, just maybe, they should progress to being an 'above average diver' and fasten a clip and/or bungee to their light.

I didn't want to go down that road.

:D

• Don't shine your light in other diver's eyes. Night vision is hard to get back.

fasten a clip and/or bungee to their light. Everything you bring into the ocean should be clipped to your kit and especially so at night.

can not be overstated

Back
Top Bottom