Night dive, divemaster air monitoring

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As others have mentioned, managing your air is your #1 most important responsibility.

And it should be responsibility #2 of your buddy.

Check it every five minutes all through your dive, then less and less often as you become more acquainted with your usual gas consumption.

but I am feeling somewhat anxious about how the divemaster will keep tabs on us "hoovers?"

Make it easy for them by staying close to them and signaling with your light to get their attention. Take it upon yourself to inform them of your consumption, instead of waiting for them to look after you.

I don't know where anybody got the idea that I don't take personal responsibility, that I don't monitor my air or that I need my hand held. I used to fly a hang glider. I know a lot about taking personal responsibility, because when you are several thousand feet up in the air you don't have a buddy to bail you out.

Perhaps I should clarify my question: because I tend to go through air somewhat more quickly than others in the groups I have been in, I try to keep the DM aware of when I am down to half a tank so that the DM will know when to turn the dive. That has always been the instruction in the pre-dive briefing. All I wanted to know is how this operates when on a night dive.

And by the way, I hate golf.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

post edited...

I don't know where anybody got the idea that I don't take personal responsibility, that I don't monitor my air or that I need my hand held. I used to fly a hang glider. I know a lot about taking personal responsibility, because when you are several thousand feet up in the air you don't have a buddy to bail you out.

Perhaps I should clarify my question: because I tend to go through air somewhat more quickly than others in the groups I have been in, I try to keep the DM aware of when I am down to half a tank so that the DM will know when to turn the dive. That has always been the instruction in the pre-dive briefing. All I wanted to know is how this operates when on a night dive.

And by the way, I hate golf.
If you have concerns, chat to the DM in advance.

While I brief the procedures for a Night dive, especially signalling and lost buddy (easily done for less experienced divers at night) It is less easy to check gas on all divers as I would on the initial day dives

If you were on my dive and chatted to me in advance, I would want you close,. Then I'd expect you to tell me at your 1st quarter and then at 50%. That said as others have pointed out ND's are generally shallow (10m/33') and only 45mins so I wouldn't' expect there to be an issue.

Finally I wouldn't' allow you on ND if I hadn't seen you on a day dive.

But you say you're at 42 dives and still an air hoover. I would suggest that you seek out some 1 : 1 further training to establish the root causes and to improve your skills and enjoyment. Often bad air consumption is exacerbated by worrying about bad air consumption.

One "on topic" note: yeah, maybe it is time to work on that air consumption. First thing to suspect is overweighting. Sounds like you have no problem breathing your tank down to 500 - 800 psi at the end of the dive, so that is a great time to do a weight check and adjustment at the surface per your initial training.

Slightly "off topic" night dive note: Night dives is where I have finally found a perfect, compelling use for the Buddy Watcher gadget. No matter how much you plan to stick right next to your buddy, it is easy to lose track quickly, especially in a group and/or when you spend a good part of your diving looking at a camera LCD screen. There could be 5 other divers within 10-15 feet of me, but still have trouble spotting which one is my buddy. I hit the Buddy Watcher button, the unit on my buddy's wrist buzzes/vibrates, and he knows to look for me at the same moment I am looking for him and we quickly reconnect. (especially when my camera lighting set up easily distinguishes me in the group - he almost always knows right where I am at with just a glance)

I tend to go through my air faster than others in the group and on a few occasions I have had to signal to the divemaster that I was low on air;

This is good that you are monitoring your air. It is normal for a new diver to suck down his or hers air.

twice, in my opinion, dangerously low (below 500 psi).

Dangerous is a subjective term. This will depend where and depth you are at. A diver who has 400 psi left and is at the safety stop then one would not necessarily consider it dangerous. Additional information is needed to comment any further.

When I guide divers I tell them, if they feel they are breathing their gas quicker than others then ascend and dive above the group.

The best divemasters (in my opinion) have regularly monitored all the divers in their groups, asking, with signals, for a check on air levels. I may do a night dive on my next trip, but I am feeling somewhat anxious about how the divemaster will keep tabs on us "hoovers?"

The idea it is the dive guide's responsibility to monitor everyone's gas consumption is a fallacy. When hear or read this type of comment the first thing that comes into my mind is "great, a diver who isn't willing to take responsibility for his or hers diving".

As a guide on a deep dive with a group I maintained an awareness of peoples gas consumption. On shallow guided dives I inform the divers they are to let me know when they are halfway through their tank. With that info I can determine whether or not to cut the dive short or carry on with the dive plan. Nevertheless, I always inform divers monitoring their own air is their responsibility, not mine.

What would you who have done night dives want from the divemaster?

When I learned to dive I was taught to monitor my own gas consumption. If need be ascend to a shallower depth and dive above the group. Or, which I had to do in my early days, ascend to the safety stop, after alerting the dive guide, to end the dive.

I may do a night dive on my next trip, but I am feeling somewhat anxious about how the divemaster will keep tabs on us "hoovers?"

What exactly are you referring to; monitoring your air and donating to you if need be or keeping you with the group to prevent getting lost? What is it that you are expecting the guide to keep tabs on? Be specific. Your earlier posts imply gas monitoring. Is that what you are replying to.

When I lived in the tropics there were two types of divers, those who were not certified and those who were. Those who were not certified took the resort course. Basically I held their hand. That was fine, that is the type of dive they signed up for. The other group is the certified divers. In this group I monitor them for safety. but do not hold their hand. Gas consumption, staying with the group, maintaining situational awareness, sticking with their buddy was their responsibility. My responsibility was safety.

Remember, you are not the only diver in the group. If each diver was wanting the dive guide to "monitor" each and every diver then deal with a problem, such as running out of gas, leaves the rest in a precarious situation. Each person needs to take responsibility for him or herself. To gain additional experience and training take some continuing ed classes. They will help.

I personaly like to know my groups remaining gas to be able to plan when to be back at the exit point. I tend to monitor more closely the first dive with new divers, and if i know that one diver in the group tend to consume more air than others I usualy only monitor that divers air pressure. Sometimes I have been diving with a group where everyone use less air then me, and then i just check once in the middle of the dive to see that nothing have changed.

I may do a night dive on my next trip, but I am feeling somewhat anxious about how the divemaster will keep tabs on us "hoovers?"

Your anxiety largely is due to your over-reliance on the DM / guide to monitor your air. You're wondering "what happens if he doesn't monitor my air effectively??" And you're imagining that at night it will be even more difficult for the guide to do this.

So the solution to relieving your anxiety, as others in this thread have suggested, is simple: recognize that it's not part of the guide's job description to monitor your air. You should have an assigned buddy, the two of you should do your own dive planning (even though you will follow the guide) and you should communicate with your buddy as you learned in your OW course.

Make sure you understand exactly what the role of the guide includes. In most warm water locales, the guide's job is to show you the way... i.e. to guide you... and make sure you don't touch stuff. You should assume the guide's job is to protect the dive site from you, not the other way around.

Your safety and your dive plan is your responsibility. When you embrace this idea, your anxiety will drop significantly. And you will be able to enjoy your dives!

I (and I think everyone else) appreciates the clarification of your question, because reading "between the lines" of your original post it seemed your situation was a bit different.

Talk to the DM / guide about this before the dive. Tell them exactly what you're concerned about and they'll tell you how they will handle it. They do this every day, and they deal with just about every conceivable situation on a regular basis.

This alone should help drop your anxiety, just knowing that the DM is aware. But then also, as has been suggested here in an earlier post, if you want regular communication with the DM, make it as easy as possible by hanging out with them during the dive.

(And, ironically, you'll likely find that when your anxiety drops you'll use less air... and you have nothing to worry about!)

I don't know where anybody got the idea that I don't take personal responsibility, that I don't monitor my air or that I need my hand held. .

My profound apologies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom