Nicholas Canyon-Sunday Feb 24th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LoL i guess the sataying dry after ya get out is the hard part but thats what they make rain clothes for :p as for me i dont know if im going to go i have a majior headache right now. but well see what the weather does tomarow morn.

I'm out-- it's pouring and the weather report says it's continuing through the morning. I'm not so concerned about staying dry, but the runoff stirs up the water & drops viz so it can get pretty soupy... We should have gone today! I snuck out this morning to Leo Carrillo & it was beautiful!
-Tom

Hey all, are you guys going out to Leo next weekend? I want to go and do some kayak diving. Enough of these rain-outs!!

Kayak diving that sounds fun sounds like somthing i would want to try. Insted of tripping over all the rocks like last time :D

Hey all, are you guys going out to Leo next weekend? I want to go and do some kayak diving. Enough of these rain-outs!!

I've had the pleasure of kayak diving with Jason. It really is a great way to access places you wouldn't want to hike to or do a surface swim to.

If you get a chance to do it, go for it. Highly recommended.

That's not to say that my uncoordinated rear-end didn't spend more time in the water then on top of the kayak... :mooner:

haha, well, Kevin's kayak had some problems, but I know how to handle those now :)

Erika, it's pretty easy to do this. I've got 2 kayaks, so I sometimes take people out and show them how to do it. They are both the sit-on-top style, and you pack up your gear and tie it down to the front and back of the boat, and wear your wetsuit while launching.

Launching it can be a little tricky, but I just drag the kayak into the water, pull it directly into the surf (if any is present), keeping the bow up, and then I hop on and begin paddling like mad.

Easy as that! Once you get to the spot you want to dive at, you toss out your anchor, hop off the boat, and begin to gear up. That can be a little tricky, so I like to have the simplest gear set-up possible. The less lights, clips, etc accessories, the better, at least for the first few dives.

Anyways, once you're geared up, you descend down the anchor line, check it to make sure you are secure, and begin the dive.

It's really incredible to dive this way. I've found some really lovely spots off the beaten track. Kayak diving takes more work, time, and a lot more energy, but you're doing something that very few other divers ever do.

Southbayren: I still haven't figured out how to kayak underwater yet. Once I master that, I'll get back to you.

Back
Top Bottom