NICE day on Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

howard4113

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I dove Makena today with son David and our new friends Mark and Kelly from Colorado. The conditions were the best I've seen in a long time - low surge and wind and the vis was great. Mark spotted 4 octopus (octopi?) and that makes him the new octo kahuna (sorry David). Posted some pix on my web site --

http://www.msh-co.com/maui_diving/makena_8_12_06/index.html

Thanks for joining us today guys - we really enjoyed the dive!

(the other) Mark

Nice shots, Howard, especially the eels.

Do you dive Makena or do you go up to Five Caves? Wife and I are flying out to Maui next Friday and are going to do a shore dive Sat morning before we do some boat dives. We dove Makena in the late afternoon about 2 years ago, and needless to say, was not very good. Was looking at shoredive.com and trying to decide if should park at Makena and surface swim over to caves, stay at Makena, or just park at 5 Caves. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

If you go early in the morning AND the swell is down, then Makena is a great dive. In calm conditions, you can just stroll in at 5 graves. However most folks prefer to enter at Makena Landing and that's what I'd suggest unless you're pretty proficient at the "boulder dance". If you enter at the landing, then you'll probably not get to the small caves near the 5 graves site -- no big deal. You will see several of the swim-thru's and Disney-like attractions that are absent from the north side. However the coral is in better shape on the north side. If the surf's up then head north to the old airport beach and swim out to the second reef. This an extremely easy dive and conditions are usually the best on the island. Mala Wharf is great too -- again if the surf is down AND the tide is in (VERY shallow for the first 100 yds). Do not expect any south shore dive site to be good in the afternoon. PM me if you need more info or you want to get together for something.

Aloha dude,

Mark

Mark, Hope you got the bottle we left for you at Maui Dreams.

Kelly and I had a wonderful dive with you and David.....many thanks!

I AM smiling in the picture where I am behind Kelly....first picture I must have been that I was passing gas:lol:

That was one of the most relaxing 97 minute dives I've ever done.

Thanks for posting those pictures.....I'll get some up myself and let you know about them.

I think Maui is on the list for a return trip.

Any openings at Maui TP? :D

thanks
Mark and Kelly

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom