Nicaragua or Costa Rica in October?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ward

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Dear all,

I will be going for a week of diving in October, and am trying to decide between Nicaragua and Costa Rica. I can fly into either Managua or San Jose, and am interested in reef diving in warmer waters.
Don't want to lose too much time and money traveling inland.
I am an experienced diver.
Any advice or pro's and con's you can share very much appreciated, I am looking to book flights today or tomorrow!

Ward

Nicaragua will tag on at least an extra day getting from Managua to the Corn Islands. The only hopper flight when I did it was early in the morning, which prevented back-to-back connections. If you do that, spend the extra hour or so to ferry across from Big Corn to Little Corn. Well worth it.

If you fly into Costa Rica, see if you can get a flight to Liberia. It's only about an hour away from Playas del Coco / Hermosa on the Pacific side. Flying into San Jose will get you a 4-5 hour trip to get to either coast. If you don't need to rent a car, you should be able to take a cab to the Pulmitan bus station in Liberia then catch a bus to Playas del Coco or other Pacific destinations for a song, although it would be worth checking the schedules. (It was $8.50 US for the bus trip from San Jose.) The Caribbean side is murky thanks to rivers that empty into the sea there.

I just spent a week in Playas del Coco last week and loved it. Waters were in the mid 80's F. I have a trip report on another forum. If you'd like to see it, send me a PM.

Thanks, would be interested in that tripreport!

Rocket Frog in Guanacaste is a great option. It is right outside of Playa del Coco in Playa Ocotal. Theres not much in the way of reefs that you are looking for, but they have been seeing bull sharks as well as an unusual amount of mantas at the Bat Islands of late. Give them a look or PM if you need anymore info!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom